PDA

View Full Version : Windfall Update

ROBERT ELLIS
11-09-2006, 9:02 PM
For those who didn't see my earlier post on this subject it was titled WINDFALL

Thought I might give an update to the "still pinching myself" tool purchase I made a few weeks ago. My neighbor and I made the 350 mile round trip to bring the tools back. He took his truck and gooseneck with a scatcat loader. Made the chore of loading and unloading very easy. I wound up giving him the metal cutting bandsaw for his trouble.

I could only put 3 of the tools in my shop, with him storing the Rockwell/Delta Bandsaw and Delta DP in his. Since then I have primarily waged a war on rust. As of a day or two ago I removed most of the rust.

My gameplan was to just remove the rust and then slowly start checking everything out (mechanically). Of course a rusty old USA made tool in your shop, and in your way is hard to ignore. I have made progress freeing up the things that were frozen because of rust. The joiners beds were both stuck. And you'll see in the picture a pile of wood shavings on the outfeed table. This was jammed in the infeed table. I suspect at the the time of the incident some young woodworker ended his desire to learn ww when the machine pulled that chunk outof a board. It took some needle nosed pliers to remove it and I'm guessing the machine hasn't been used since (probably many years). The spacer that goes in the sliding dovetails (on the outfeed side) was on the wrong side (not on the gib screw side), and other than them using it for an anvil (dings and dents) it's in pretty good shape. I'll probably buy a 2 HP SP w/switch and go from there. If it turns out to be a nice working joiner then I might go about painting and restoring.

The Rockwell/Delta lathe is in good shape (except the stand shelves are droopy). The tailstock spindle was froze, a lot of rust, but I got lucky the motor is SP so I made a temporary plug in and checked it out. The variable speed on it works. But heres where I need a little help from some of you that own one of these. What's the deal with the pull out/push in handle to change the speeds. Mine, best I can tell doesn't push in or out, you just rotate. I suspect it's missing something on the variable speed handle.

Well I won't bore you any longer, so heres a few pics...one picture is of the joiner the way I bought it and how it looks now. In the near future I hope to take a better picture of the Bandsaw and the Unisaw...

Robert

ROBERT ELLIS
11-09-2006, 9:14 PM
Sorry, had to resize this picture, lets try again -

Here's the way the joiner looks now...

Jim Becker
11-09-2006, 9:17 PM
Cleaned up nicely, Robert!