PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Dogwood???

John Bush
11-09-2006, 1:55 PM
Recent heavy rains and wind toppled a Pacific Dogwood across my driveway and, fortunately for once, my chainsaw blade was sharp. The trunk is ~20+" and has some potential interesting grain pattern at the trunk. Does anyone have info on this species as a good turning wood? There appears to be a darker center core further up the trunk, but I'm not sure if that would be stable as the wood dries. Thanks, John.

Paul Engle
11-09-2006, 2:29 PM
John, I would say anything not pine or .... is great wood for turning some just a little harder to deal with the grain, but since yours is green , I'd prep some to turn now and some to dry and do later. Your storm will hit me tomorrow maybe but i have no dogwood to be blown down darn it .....whatch out for the rot and the crothches shoud have some nice fiddle back in them along with the trunk just off the stump aboove ground. Dig up the root ball if you can , my guess is some amazing grain mixed in with the dirt. I just did a couple pie cherry trees and " oh baby " time ....

Bob Opsitos
11-09-2006, 4:00 PM
I've turned a dogwood root ball before, though I've no pics as the MIL has it. Grain was really neat, like lots of little endgrain eyes from all the branching roots. Rest of the grain was a fairly plain white.

The root ball was really difficult to work as there were a lot of dirt incusions, even some hidden inside. Trashed a bandsaw blade, had to resharpen a chain saw blade, and I'm not sure how many times I had to sharpen the turning tools. I probably should have soaked the thing in something to attempt to get some of the dirt out. Dirt does not cut, nor turn well.

YMMV
Bob

Reed Gray
11-09-2006, 6:09 PM
It is beautiful wood. It has a smooth even grain (turns like butter when wet), and has colors in the pink to browns. It kind of reminds me of madrone, but it doesn't move as much. It is very hard when dry. Makes good tool handles. A 20 inch diameter tree is a monster. Save the small crotches and turn a winged bowl (see Bill Grumbine's new DVD).

I don't know if you can come by, but I will be in Seattle next weekend for the Best of the Northwest show (fri, sat and sun) in the hanger at Magnusun Park.
robo hippy

John Bush
11-10-2006, 12:19 AM
Hi Reed,
Is Magnusun Park at Sandpoint? Iwas there for a blacksmith show . Is this a turning show? Let me know what's up. I could buck out a hunk of the dogwood for you. Thanks, John.

Reed Gray
11-10-2006, 1:30 AM
John,
Yes, that is the place. Funky old air hanger, and temperature inside is about the same as the outside, and usually a bit dryer. There are usually at least 5 turners there. Part of the proceeds from the show go to support the childrens hospital. Would love to see you there. I can trade some myrtle, elm, apple, english walnut, norway maple, silver maple. I have a few chunks of pacific dogwood, but the tree had been down for 3 years or so, and most of it was gone, but had nice spalting.
robo hippy

Frank Fusco
11-10-2006, 9:33 AM
Is Pacific Dogwood the same tree as non-Pacfic Dogwood? Meaning the pretty white flowers in spring and red berries in fall. The leaves are sorta hand shaped?
If it is, your 20" is unusually large. I sell Dogwood pen blanks. Pen made from it are usually fitted with a Christian cross on the clip. Because of the Legend of the Dogwood, these make great gifts for Christian believers.
I haven't had rot problems but the wood is very attractive to some worms and I have not had good luck air drying larger pieces. Usually, when I find the white dust from buggies boring and eating the green wood, I have to resaw into pen blanks and then zap in the microwave to dry and kill the worms.

Reed Gray
11-10-2006, 11:13 AM
There are more of the ornamental dogwoods out there than the wild ones. I have turned both, and they are much the same. The flowers are different colors, but the wood looks and cuts the same.
robo hippy