PDA

View Full Version : Dyed curly Maple

Travis Stinson
11-09-2006, 12:23 PM
This was a core from a larger bowl that fell victim to a too thin bottom and vacuum chuck :mad: . I decided to play around with dyeing it to highlight the curl. Yellow dye in the center and a mixture of red and honey amber for the rest. 8" diameter by 1 3/4" tall, gel poly finish.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/tstin27/TS355.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/tstin27/TS355a.jpg

Paul Engle
11-09-2006, 12:32 PM
Excellent work, particullarly the color match. Nice triangle . did you use internial recess or external tenon? oh did i say I wanted one .....:eek: :D

Kurt Rosenzweig
11-09-2006, 12:39 PM
Nice piece Travis! Any chance you can tell me more on you dying technique like what you are using and at what stage you apply it!

Travis Stinson
11-09-2006, 12:59 PM
Paul, I use a tenon for just about everything.
Kurt, I really like the Artisan aniline dyes from Craft Supplies, http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?search=action&keywords=artisan-dye. I wiped it on full strength after sanding while it was still on the lathe and wiped off the excess. It's alcohol based, so it dries fairly quick.

Cecil Arnold
11-09-2006, 1:05 PM
Travis, I'm running as fast as I can but just can't keep up with your beautiful work. Nice one.

Frank Kobilsek
11-09-2006, 2:10 PM
Travis
I have been procrastinating on buying the Artisan dyes from Crafts Supply for two reason, Maybe you can help.

1) It comes in 8 oz. bottles, How far does it go? For some reason I am afraid I'll only get 2 or 3 projects per bottle and that would get expensive.

2) Its alcohol based and I've read you can thin it with alcohol. What do you thin it with, DNA, Isopropil, Jim Beam?

3) How many colors do your need to get started? If someone was going to buy a set of colors which would you recomend.

Oh, almost forgot very pretty piece.

Frank

Keith Burns
11-09-2006, 3:02 PM
Travis, as usual you have taken a simple piece (believe me I know that simple is not always easy)and turned in into a fantistic piece. Great Job.:) :)

Bernie Weishapl
11-09-2006, 3:11 PM
Travis that is awesome. I have been wanting to try some of those dyes. Beautiful job.

Jonathon Spafford
That is killer awesome... it should be illegal for one guy to have as much talent as you. the piece kinda looks like a sunburst. Really spectacular. Your pieces are some of my favorites!!!

Mark Pruitt
Very nice piece Travis. I too have a question. My experiences with aniline dyes have been that they spread quickly and therefore dyeing two adjacent surfaces different colors has seemed difficult (I've never tried it). I'm wondering how you created such a crisp dividing line between the two colors. (Seems to me that each color would have bled into the other, causing a more blurred distinction.) I've only used solvent-based AD and water based AD, never alcohol-based. I'm wondering if the alcohol base is so much more conducive to rapid drying that it circumvents any issues with bleeding.:confused: Maybe I'd better order some alcohol based from WWS and try it.

Chris Chavis
11-09-2006, 3:30 PM
Wow - that is really, really, nice. I am glad someone asked about the dye - my second thought (first being how nice it was) - was how and what you used to get it to look like that.

Kurt Rosenzweig
11-09-2006, 3:37 PM
I'm gonna give a shot at making my own after I saw what CS is charging. $8.00+$10.88 for shipping! I guess they never heard of flat rate. I'm heading to Michaels Crafts to pick up some pigment. I'll post up if I succeed. Sorry for the hi-Jack Travis.

Andy Hoyt
11-09-2006, 3:46 PM
Mighty fine!

Oh! And I wanna see the remains of the "victim".

Ken Fitzgerald
11-09-2006, 3:52 PM
Simply stunning Travis! Between you and a couple others here, I consider myself qualified to sweep your shops with direct supervision of course! Nicely done!

Mark Pruitt
11-09-2006, 4:24 PM
Mighty fine!

Oh! And I wanna see the remains of the "victim".
or cremains as it were...:eek: :p :p

Frank Chaffee
11-09-2006, 4:36 PM
Not fair Travis,
When your failed pieces turn out better than anything the rest of us can ever hope to produce.

Frank Chaffee

Travis Stinson
11-09-2006, 5:33 PM
Thanks guys. Let me see if I can keep the questions straight.
Frank, I don't thin it. I haven't used it much, but it seems to go a long way. I either use a little in the air brush jar, or dab some on a small rolled up piece of cotton material and wipe it on. I got red, yellow and black to start with.
Mark, it might bleed some if applied side by side on the same plane, but I haven't had any bleeding problems by dyeing up to a sharp transition. With the yellow, I rotated the lathe by hand and went from the center of the bowl out, straight up the wall.
Good luck Kurt, let us know how it works out!
Andy, just for you........this is the inside:(

Frank Kobilsek
11-09-2006, 5:50 PM
Travis
Thanks I just ordered red, yellow, blue, green and black. I've been wanting to do this for a while. I will tell my wife that the reason I ordered it was becuse I had to order the bowl gouge for Dad for Christmas and wanted to save shipping.

Frank

Actually my lovely, talented and generous spouse is 100% supportive of my abysseration. Of course the red and the green can be used for the Christmas ornaments she needs for her staff at school.

Jim Becker
11-09-2006, 8:22 PM
Another winner!! Yum!!

Gary Herrmann
11-09-2006, 8:55 PM
ooh, dats purty