PDA

View Full Version : Band Saw Choices

Guy Germaine
11-09-2006, 9:39 AM
Question Fer Y'all:
I'm heading to Grizzly this weekend, and was planning on picking up a G0555, riser block, and mobile base to get to 12" resaw capacity. The next saw up in line that will give me 12" resaw is the G0513X. After looking at the site and comparing, is the G0513X worth the extra money? Ballpark figures put the G0555 in my truck for +- $600. The G0513X is $895, and I'd still have to buy the mobile base.
Thoughts please?

Gary S. Tucker
11-09-2006, 12:21 PM
Hello Guy - I just got a GO513 this past June and am very satisfied with it. I have done some resawing up to 8" and it did a great job. I went to Grizzly's annual scratch and dent sale and got it for around $570. It lists for $795. I am not sure of the differences between the 513 and the 513X other than you get a resaw fence with the 513X. I am not sure how the riser block works but it seems if you left it in you would not be able to get the guide close to the work piece when doing thinner cuts. This means taking the block out and changing blades. I don't know how much thick resawing you are going to do so I think you would want to consider this in your decision. I think I would opt for the 513.

Guy Germaine
11-09-2006, 12:32 PM
The 513 has 10" resaw depth and the 513X has 12". As for the riser block, the kit also come with all the necessary extensions for the guides, so you can just leave it on the saw. With the extensions, you can still get the guides close to the work on smaller pieces. I just don't know yet how much resawing I'll be doing. I haven't had the need for it yet, but on the other hand, I've never had a saw capable of it. :confused:
I really like the steel frame and the bigger motor. The only drawback there is that the 513X comes wired for 220, which means I'll have to run a new circuit for it. that's no big deal, except that I'll have to decide on a "semi-permanent" place for it. Or, I can rewire the motor for 110. It's just something else I have to factor in.

Cecil Arnold
11-09-2006, 1:12 PM
Guy, if you are going to re-saw, go with the bigger saw. Don't worry about location, you can make up a good extension cord and move it around some. The riser block IMHO, is okay for occasional use, but the steel frame is what you need for tensioning larger blades.

Jake Helmboldt
11-09-2006, 1:31 PM
I believe the big difference between the 513 and 513X is the cast iron wheels on the X model. The fence is also beefier, but the wheels is where the "meat" is.

Jake

Ken Fitzgerald
11-09-2006, 1:34 PM
The major difference between the 513 and the 513X is the 513 has aluminum wheels and rubber tires.....the 513X has cast iron wheels and polyureathane tires......The 513X is 30-40 lbs. heavier also.

Frank Fusco
11-09-2006, 4:28 PM
I'm happy as a hog in slop with my G0555. I have done quite a bit of resawing with it up to the standard 6" limit. It handles even 6" osage orange quite nicely.
However, that said, I believe that the riser kit is pushing the machine beyond it's intended limit for regular resaw use.
If you intend to do more than just an occasional log, get the bigger machine.
For my resawing I bought the Timberwolf 3/4"X3tpi blade on the reccomendation of Suffolk Machinery.

Jim Becker
11-09-2006, 8:19 PM
IMHO, yes, the G0513 or equivalent is worth the extra cost over the smaller machine in the long run.

Guy Germaine
11-13-2006, 7:45 AM
Thanks Guys. Thanks to you all, and LOML, I came home yesterday evening with a brand new, shiney G0513X :eek:

We went to Grizzly Friday evening so I could compare all of the different models, and then sleep on it, and go back Saturday to pick up the saw. I showed LOML all 3 saws (G0555, G0513, and the G0513X) and explained the strengths and weaknesses (and my planned future use) of each saw, and she looks at me and says "Well, this is a no-brainer!, Get the big one!". So Saturday morning, we drove back over and I picked up the saw and mobile base. Got home last night and got it unloaded, put it on the mobile base, and got it all assembled. Tonight, I plan on rewiring the motor for 110 (for now, until I find time to run a dedicated 220 circuit) and get it all squared up and ready to make sawdust.:D:D:D

Frank Fusco
11-13-2006, 9:15 AM
I'm jealous. Not of the saw but the UNDERSTANDING WIFE. :)

Jim Becker
11-13-2006, 9:40 AM
You owe the LOYL a very nice meal out! Nice choice...good saw.

Guy Germaine
11-13-2006, 9:46 AM
I'm jealous. Not of the saw but the UNDERSTANDING WIFE. :)

I give her all the credit in the world when it comes to buying tools. She's usually the one that says to buy the better one. She knows the long term value of buying the best you can right up front. :D

lou sansone
11-13-2006, 12:28 PM
love that "no brainer" when the LOML says it as well :D

lou

Mark Pruitt
11-13-2006, 12:47 PM
love that "no brainer" when the LOML says it as well :D

lou
I guess the LOML has reached her limits. I'm talking about buying a big lathe about the middle of '07 and she's giving me up one side and down the other. I guess I'll tell 'er I'm gonna buy a $5500 Oneway and then spend "only" $3000 on a PM or a Vega. "Honey, I just saved $2500!!!":D

(Of course, I might come back and edit this at a later time...):D :D :p