PDA

View Full Version : wenge for door frames

bill walton
11-09-2006, 6:59 AM
I've completed a new medicine cabinet and a storage cabinet for my bathroom made from mahogany and am getting ready to start the doors. I've thinking about using wenge for the door frames around a mirror and reeded glass panels. Has anyone ever used wenge for an application like this. I think it will look good with the cabinets but I've only used it for small highlights in the past. I will use M&T at the corners of the door frames.

Thanks in advance.
Bill

Mike Cutler
11-09-2006, 6:59 PM
Bill.
I am almost complete with a very large blanket chest. The construction is frame and panel Wenge, and Brazillian Cherry. The contrast is incredible.

This is a pic in the rough, so to speak. It is currently waiting for the final finish and the hardware to be installed.

James Biddle
11-09-2006, 9:17 PM
Bill,
I have some very large picture frames to build early next year out of wenge. I recently used wenge for the base of a table and loved working with it (except for the splinters). I recently saw a table made from wenge (Marc Singer's) that changed any idea I had the wenge should only be an accent wood. If this is for a bathroom door, I hope the bathroom is large enough to overcome the tendency of a large, dark piece to make a room look smaller.

Mike, I never thought to match wenge and brazillian cherry. It looks like a great combination. Can't wait to see it finished.