PDA

View Full Version : Practice

Chris Chavis
11-08-2006, 11:38 PM
Been messing around - did some more pens and a couple "candle holders"

Not even close to the quality of other things people are posting, but I sure am having fun.

Pen in front looks a little funny in the picture, but all three of the Euro style ones I've turned have pretty much the same profile. Worked out well since my wife had the original one at work while I turned these - was hoping that I had the profile correct.

Was really happy with the screw cap one until I took the cap off and put it on the back end and scratched the heck out of the black endcap. Finished them all with HUT glossy - stuff seems to work well, of course being just a wax Im sure it'll wear off with use.

Overall happy with the pens - other items were pretty much fooling around.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q38/cmchavis/DSCN4690-turnings.jpg

Ken Fitzgerald
11-09-2006, 12:06 AM
Chris...............We all started just like that! I really like that big Bonker at the back! As the Official SMC Secretary of Bonkers I give it my seal of approval....for what that's worth! Nice job on the pens!:rolleyes: Keep spinning and having fun. With experience the skill level will increase!

Corey Hallagan
11-09-2006, 12:10 AM
Nice work Chris. Great looking pens. That screw cap roller ball is a nice kit. Just got to make sure that the cap is screwed on good or the ink will evaporate. Keep doing what you are doing. It's been 2 months since I turned, I will probably have to start all over again!

corey

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-09-2006, 12:35 AM
Good lookin' pens, Chris. Don't see anything "strange" there.

Keep it up and they will be easier.

Bruce

Mark Pruitt
11-09-2006, 8:25 AM
Good job, Chris. One candleholder profile you might consider in the future is a gradual sweep from the most slim point up to the top, and larger at the base. Very pleasing to the eye.

Bernie Weishapl
11-09-2006, 10:23 AM
Great job Chris. Keep it up. Your pens definately look better than my first ones.

Chris Chavis
11-09-2006, 2:56 PM
Good job, Chris. One candleholder profile you might consider in the future is a gradual sweep from the most slim point up to the top, and larger at the base. Very pleasing to the eye.

Do you mean a 'V' on top of an inverted 'V'?

Speaking of proportion - I am in the process of making a Fibonacci gauge in order to help judge proportion. (As in Wood magazine) I've been drawing for a long time, so proportion on paper I can do - easy enough to erase and redraw if needed. On wood though - a little harder to erase, guess as with all things - this will come with practice.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. Like I said, this stuff sure is fun.

Mark Pruitt
11-12-2006, 8:31 AM
Do you mean a 'V' on top of an inverted 'V'?

Chris, basically yes--but with gently curved lines not straight lines.

Stephen Hibbs
11-12-2006, 11:11 AM
Chris, if you're better on paper than on wood with the proportions, you could always draw out a form, and cut out it's silouhette (sp?) on some cardboard. Then you have a template that you can hold up to the piece to see where changes need to be made.