PDA

View Full Version : Finally....I have a new project to share....and a story to boot.....

Terry Hatfield
11-08-2006, 11:26 PM
Howdy everyone,

Well it's been quite a long time since I had anything to contribute around these parts but hopefully I'm back to actually getting something done instead of being sick!!!:D

Our church had this wonderful looking :D sound booth in the rear of the worship center. It houses all the sound boards, computer stuff for the overhead and lots of other electrical things that I have no concept what they are or what they do.

As you can see it was quite a handsome piece. Made of scrap plywood and 2 X 2's and covered with some velvet like substance. No one still at the church will actually take credit for it. :D It's way too small for the amount of equipment that is in it now and honestly ain't much to look at in real life.

It was decided that some of us that are members would tear down the old one and build a new, bigger and better one. The only catch was that we would tear out the old one on Monday nite and had to have the new one framed by Wednesday so the sound dude could start a 3 day reinstall/rewire of the whole shebang and have it done totally by Sunday. OK...sure...it's not like we have day jobs or anything. :D :eek:

The new booth was drawn by one of the members and it is to be framed much like a little house with no roof and then covered with oak panels resembling something in a library. The panels would be built in my shop and completely finished and then transported to the church and pocket screwed together adn then attached to the booth frame. Here's a shot of the framers in the midst of the deed on Monday nite...

And here it is on Tuesday nite. It's all framed and the new cabinets and counters are installed on the inside and ready for the equipment to start going back in on Wednesday. The 2 openings in the center of the front are for access doors in the panels so the back of the sound boards can be plugged and unplugged without moving the boards.

I bought wood and such and began milling at my shop the Friday before. Everything is frame and panel construction and all in oak and oak plywood. Reminded me of really, really big cabinet doors. The finished booth is 8' wide, 5' tall and 15' long

Continued.........

Terry Hatfield
11-08-2006, 11:38 PM
The 3 person crew that was at my shop had all the panels and the matching door built by Monday evening. Here are some of the panels. You see what I mean about them looking like giant cabinet doors. All the stiles were cut in half and pocket screws were used to reattach them all once they were at the church.

And here are all the panels laid out with stain on them. Just about every inch of my shop was used for the finishing. There were 5 of us working on the finishing.

We got all the finishing done on Thursday evening and started moviing the panels to the church on Friday morning. By the grace of God and with some really great help we actually made it for Sunday morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There were a few of us that looked a bit sleepy in the service though. :D

Here is the finished project. The rest of the church has a lot of frame and panel oak so these go much better than the velvet covered one.

I cut the top off the two center panels and put them on piano hinges to allow access to the back of the sound boards....

Here's the end with the door......

I truly enjoyed doing this and I feel so blessed to have a shop and tools so I can do such things for the church but I am also glad it's over. It was quite a week. I told the music minister that the next time he gave us a 3 week project it would be nice to hae 3 weeks to do it!!!! It was quit an undertaking in the time we had.

I barely got the last of the dust wiped off the finished sound booth when the pastor decided that the old pulpit was just entirely too small. :D I'm starting on a new one for him this weekend. I'll post some pics of it soon.

Thanks for looking,

Terry

Roy Wall
11-08-2006, 11:53 PM
What an upgrade!!!! Lookin good Terry!

Great Idea on the access to the back of the sound boards:cool:

Terry Hatfield
11-09-2006, 12:00 AM
What an upgrade!!!! Lookin good Terry!

Great Idea on the access to the back of the sound boards:cool:

Thanks Roy!!!!!!

Access to the back of the boards won't be needed very often but sure will be handy when they need to add or change something. The sound guy was actually there on Saturday fine tuning and he was a happy camper to just open the door instead of standing on his head to move a wire like he had to before.

t

John Schreiber
11-09-2006, 12:06 AM
It's great to hear from you. I am back to the creek after a couple of years off and I was remembering some of the personalities from before. You were one of the few I could sort of remember who were missing. I'm glad your back and doing good stuff.

Hope you and yours are doing well.

Jason Tuinstra
11-09-2006, 12:11 AM
Terry, thanks for your "kingdom" work. The upgrade looks fantastic. Quite a change from the old one. Thanks for your service and thanks for posting the project.

Corey Hallagan
11-09-2006, 12:17 AM
Very nice Terry! Glad to see you posting again!

corey

Rennie Heuer
11-09-2006, 8:15 AM
Terry,

Well done! It looks great. I built the sound/video booth for our church a couple of years ago. Any chance you could post pics of the interior showing equipment layout? (I not only built it, I outfitted and run it).

My gadget addiction obviously extends beyond the confines of WW. Wonder if I should seek professional help?.........Nah!:p

Bob Noles
11-09-2006, 8:24 AM
Terry,

A most beautiful job well done. The rewards of a project like this will live in your heart forever.

Terry Hatfield
11-09-2006, 9:15 AM
Thanks everyone!!! It is feels really good to be able to work in the shop and to have something to post!!!!

Rennie....I realized when I was posting the pics that I never bothered to take any inside the booth...doh!!!! :confused: I get a couple and add them this evening.

Thanks again everyone!!

t

James Yockey
11-09-2006, 9:19 AM
Interesting, I have been Engineering Sound for our church for 14 years. I guess it really does run in the WW blood. Beautiful work. Thank you for being involved in it.

Ken Werner
11-09-2006, 9:20 AM
Terry, wow, what teamwork! Kudos to you and your crew.

Ken

Tom Hamilton
11-09-2006, 9:23 AM
Hi Terry: Great project and contribution to the Kingdom. Looks and sounds like you are back to full speed and wit. Congrats!

Tom, in Houston, glad to see Terry swimming in the Creek again.

Art Mulder
11-09-2006, 9:57 AM
Terry,

It looks good! It does the job! And you got it done in a week.
That is just amazing.

My only observation is that the pictures need to be bigger!!
Your image files were only 50k, and you're allowed double that!

(I usually scale my photos to 800x600 pixels, and save the JPEG's at 75-85% quality, and they usually fit in the SMC size requirements, and are nice and large.)

best,
...art

John Renzetti
11-09-2006, 10:08 AM
Hi Terry, Great project and obviously very fulfilling. After the new pulpit I can see maybe some new pews in works...
take care,
John

Zahid Naqvi
11-09-2006, 10:20 AM
Terry, good to hear from you again. Nice project.

Terry Hatfield
11-09-2006, 10:22 AM
Terry,

It looks good! It does the job! And you got it done in a week.
That is just amazing.

My only observation is that the pictures need to be bigger!!
Your image files were only 50k, and you're allowed double that!

(I usually scale my photos to 800x600 pixels, and save the JPEG's at 75-85% quality, and they usually fit in the SMC size requirements, and are nice and large.)

best,
...art

Art,

Well...I took the easy way out. I take the pics on the lowest setting so they aer 640X480 right from the camera which usually ends up being right about 100k but some were larger. I have a new computer and new photo program (HP Photosmart Premier) that I haven't used enough to know much about and the 320 X 240 size is one of the defaults so I wimped out and just amde them all that size. :o

Here's some larger pics of the finished project.....

Thanks,

t

Dave Ray
11-09-2006, 10:34 AM
Terry, good to see you posting again. Welcome home. Nice job especially considering the time crunch. You work great under pressure. You and your crew did good

Bruce Page
11-09-2006, 3:09 PM
Great comeback Terry! The soundboard is very professional looking.

still love your shop...

Jim Becker
11-09-2006, 8:16 PM
Excellent work, Terry!! And a great project to be involved in. I have a latent passion for sound reinforcement, so I can appreciate not just the woodworking but all the gear hiding behind it!! :)

Terry Hatfield
11-09-2006, 9:49 PM
Thanks again everyone!!!!!! It is really great to be able to serve Him and His church in this way. I never dreamed I would be woodworking for Jesus but apparently I am.

I did stop by the church today and took some pics of the inside but they look bad. I decided to not use the flash and them brighten them up with the photos program but that didn't work. I'll try again tomorrow.

All I know about the equipment is it's Peavy RQ 4332C board with a bunch of other 'lectrical stuff and a computer that runs an overhead projector that shows the words to the songs with pictures and such on a large screen at the front of the sanctuary. Really neat actually. Way back when I was involved in church before we just used hymnals. :D

t

David Rose
11-09-2006, 10:32 PM
Hey t! You left out all the great juicy parts of this project! Guess I'm one of the few "honored" ones to know, huh? :D :eek:

It was obviously a "love" project. :)

David

Terry Hatfield
11-09-2006, 10:47 PM
Hey t! You left out all the great juicy parts of this project! Guess I'm one of the few "honored" ones to know, huh? :D :eek:

It was obviously a "love" project. :)

David

Every project has it's little ups and downs you know. LOL ... :D

t

BTW...I sure am hungry. :p

Mark Stutz
11-09-2006, 11:09 PM
Great to see you back Terry, and a great job on the sound booth. That was one big project if it took up all of YOUR shop!:D

David Rose
11-10-2006, 12:42 AM
Hungry here too! Now that we are working 'til 8 or 9 in ths shop, YOU get hungry. :eek: We'll get there.

David

Every project has it's little ups and downs you know. LOL ... :D

t

BTW...I sure am hungry. :p

Terry Hatfield
11-10-2006, 8:26 AM
Hungry here too! Now that we are working 'til 8 or 9 in ths shop, YOU get hungry. :eek: We'll get there.

David

I'm gonna starve if you guys don't stop working so much so we can eat!!!!!!:D

t

Scott Coffelt
11-10-2006, 2:32 PM
Man, is this a ghost of folks from the past or what. Nice to see you on the mend and back in action. Nice work.

Mark Cothren
11-10-2006, 5:07 PM
Terry, that is FANTASTIC!!! Great work!!!

I barely got the last of the dust wiped off the finished sound booth when the pastor decided that the old pulpit was just entirely too small. :D I'm starting on a new one for him this weekend. I'll post some pics of it soon.

We gotta talk... I might be tacklin' the same project here soon.

Kelly C. Hanna
11-10-2006, 5:38 PM
Looks good Terry! Glad to see you back on the boards!

Dennis Peacock
11-10-2006, 5:46 PM
EXCELLENT Terry.!!!!!! Glad to see you getting both shop time and being a blessing to a well deserved congregation. Beautiful job buddy.!!! :cool: :D

Blaine Harrison
11-10-2006, 7:27 PM
Well, count me in as a WW'er who also runs sound at my church. I appreciate a true sound booth, but will leave the hard wiring to a professional. I'm happy to hook up the mikes and run the board and I think I do a good job at it (not too much feedback is a good thing).

Our "booth" is actually just a desk type piece of furniture. It's frame and panel and every time I sit at it, I think about the limitations it has. It's supposed to be able to be closed (with six heavy 3/4" thick 6" x 5' oak planks on piano hinges), but the sound board is too tall to allow the top to close. Occasionally, we get some kid who turns all the knobs and pokes all the buttons, so closing it down would be a good thing. I'd love to be able to make a replacement desk, but I just don't think I'm ready to do that.

Good for you (and your hungry buddies) for doing this. I'm sure the others at your church have noticed and commented on how nice it looks.

Blaine