PDA

View Full Version : iPod for Wife

Jim Young
11-08-2006, 10:30 PM
My wife has been hinting at an iPod. She was thinking of getting something so she can download NPR segments (again, this is for my wife :) ). I did a quick scan through a Best Buy add and didn't really understand what would fit the bill. Can someone enlighten me on iPod technology and what would be best for downloading talk shows? She is not interested in watching shows, just listening. I originally suggested she just sit in the car to listen to her show, that didn't fly.

Tyler Howell
11-08-2006, 10:40 PM
Amazon had the best prices when I bought my 2nd one 2 months ago.
If NPR is all she wants. One of the Nanos is ideal.
If she wants to store large libraries on the IPOD, I really like the 30 Gig:cool:

Jon Eckels
11-08-2006, 10:55 PM
bummer, I thought you were offering a trade. I could really use an I-Pod.

Bruce Page
11-08-2006, 11:13 PM
I read the title exactly the same way!

As a member of the bigger is better group, I think the nano would be on the small side. I'd go with the 30 gig.

Tim Morton
11-09-2006, 7:11 AM
First thing to do is verify that NPR is available as a podcast. Is she going to download if to her computer and then to the iPod? She may want to look at XM radio with built in memory card storage as an option. Otherwise the 8g "RED" nano would be on my list:D $249. Its aluminum insstead of plastic so the case is more durable.

Steve Dewey
11-09-2006, 7:36 AM
If she want's it to actually be portable, get the nano.

The larger ipods have a hard drive that is subject to failure. My 40g unit quit 3X - the first 2 were covered under warranty, the third was not. And no, I never dropped the thing. The problem is that the micro hard drive is too precision a mechanism to be bounced around in your pocket, car etc. The nano has no moving parts. Several of my friends have had their hard drive ipods quit as well. Wife's nano is coming up on it's 1 year anniversary w/ no problems.

Contrast these units w/ cell phones - I treat the ipod nicer than the cell phone (which I've dropped on more than 1 occasion), and I've never had a cell phone quit on me, and can't think of any folks I know who have.

Tyler Howell
11-09-2006, 8:01 AM

ROTFLMAO:D :D :D

Tom Henry
11-09-2006, 9:09 AM
My wife hase the larger one in the Ipod family and she loves it. If your wife is going to be watching shows on her's I would think you would want to get the 30 Gig Ipod. She would lose her vision trying to watch shows on that small Nano...:D

Matthew Poeller
11-09-2006, 9:16 AM
Jim, this is exactly what I use my Ipod for. Well NPR, Wall Street Journal, Business Week, and "books on tape" from audible.com.

I have a 2 GB Ipod Nano. I currently have 82 podcasts and 2 books (John Grisham about 12 hours and 17 hours each) on it and still have over a gig left. All told there is probably about 2-3 days worth of audio on it.

NPR is definitely available. In fact, they just started poscasting "This American Life" for free (one of my favorite programs). This was previously only available for purchase at audible.

Other noteables that have extensive podcasts include:
The Wall Street Journal
The New York Times
Business Week
BBC
CNN

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to know. Unlike woodworking this is something that I have extensive knowledge in.

Matt Poeller

Rob Russell
11-09-2006, 10:13 AM
I gave my wife a 4 gig Nano earlier this year for her birthday - she loves it. She uses it at work on breaks and when we fly. For the small difference in cost relative to how long you'll have this, I'd get the 8 gig version.

I also found a leather case with a loop and she had a neck strap. This way she can have the Nano hanging around her neck rather than sitting in a pocket - makes it easier to move around with it on.

Jim Young
11-09-2006, 11:12 AM
Do you have to pay for podcasts? I can see where books on tape have a cost associated with them but not sure if NPR stuff would cost anything.

I'll have to take a look at the nanos, sounds like this may fit the bill.

Tom Henry
11-09-2006, 11:18 AM
I would go to best buy, and when you go ask if they have open boxed Ipods. They probably have more than a few to choose from... Then you can haggle with the price and then just buy the BestBuy warranty. The longer the open bosed idem is the cheaper the price.

Matthew Poeller
11-09-2006, 11:53 AM
Jim,

Most podcasts, including NPR podcasts are free. There are some programs that are not available at all (pay or free) but most are.