PDA

View Full Version : Bigger font on SMC?

Ben Grunow
11-08-2006, 9:37 PM
Can I enlarge the font on the SMC pages? I am going blind(er) and would love some larger words to go with my 17" monitor. Help?

Jim Becker
11-08-2006, 9:40 PM
You can use your browser settings to change the display size. In IE, click on the View menu and then on text size...choose a larger display size that works for you. Firefox has a similar option in the same place. You could also use the video settings in Windows to increase the font size by using the "large type" option.

Ben Grunow
11-08-2006, 9:43 PM
View menu font is set to largest and it's still too small. What video settings Windows are you talking about? Should we PM at this point? Thanks in advance (again).

Rob Bodenschatz
11-08-2006, 10:04 PM
There's also something called Magnifier. If you're using XP, its Start\Programs\Accessories\Accessibility\Magnifier . It's a little awkward to use but maybe it worth a shot.

Frank Hagan
11-08-2006, 10:53 PM
Internet Explorer ... at least versions below the new one just released ... do not always re-size the text correctly. There's a technical reason why (you have to "trick" it to do so).

Get the Firefox browser from Mozilla.com. You can hold down CTRL and resize the text with the mouse wheel. Very convenient, and it has more than the default 5 sizes, as it scales them in seemingly infinite sizes up to "Gigantor!"

Ben Grunow
11-09-2006, 9:52 PM
Thanks fellers and wow is that magnifier hard to use! I will try the firefox thingy. Thanks again. Ben (BTW- I am only 32 and not blind but the screen wears my eyes out over time)

Rob Bodenschatz
11-09-2006, 10:08 PM
Definitely try Firefox. I tried that trick & I think it'll really help you.

Frank Hagan
11-09-2006, 10:31 PM
Thanks fellers and wow is that magnifier hard to use! I will try the firefox thingy. Thanks again. Ben (BTW- I am only 32 and not blind but the screen wears my eyes out over time)

I have switched over to Firefox for most of my browsing, and on my web sites, I notice the users of Firefox over IE have risen to about 25%. Just a year ago, it was only 10%. So a lot of people are finding Firefox to be worthy of their consideration.

The only thing I've seen that I don't like is how it streams video. In some cases, the browser launches a separate program to view the video (Windows Media Player Thingy), but I suspect that has to do with licensing issues.

Art Mulder
11-10-2006, 6:54 AM
Get the Firefox browser from Mozilla.com. You can hold down CTRL and resize the text with the mouse wheel. Very convenient, and it has more than the default 5 sizes, as it scales them in seemingly infinite sizes up to "Gigantor!"

Hey, cool! Thanks, Frank. I've been using Firefox for a couple years now and I didn't know about that.

An other option with firefox is using the Control and "=" key to make text larger, and the Control and "-" key to make text smaller. (the = key also has the + on it in the shift position, which is why they chose that) This goes in steps and works quite well.

Aaron Koehl
11-10-2006, 9:47 AM
Also, if you're using IE7, you can hold down CTRL and use your scroll wheel on your mouse (if you have one).. that will change the font size to about as big as you would ever want to get.

Curt Harms
11-11-2006, 5:22 AM
Can I enlarge the font on the SMC pages? I am going blind(er) and would love some larger words to go with my 17" monitor. Help?
If You have an older CRT monitor, take a look at an LCD monitor. I provide free tech support to some family members (they get what they pay for:D ) and after working on a CRT, I'm glad to get back to my LCD. Christmas sales are coming.

Mike Null
11-12-2006, 9:18 AM
Ben

Just in case you haven't tried this--you can adjust the brightness, contrast and clarity on your monitor as well and this may be of some help.

Joash Boyton
11-12-2006, 9:19 AM
Also, if you're using IE7, you can hold down CTRL and use your scroll wheel on your mouse (if you have one).. that will change the font size to about as big as you would ever want to get.
Yes, was about to say that, I use Opera, and it works fine.