PDA

View Full Version : Will a gorilla fit in my mini van?

chris del
11-08-2006, 8:46 PM
On friday I am driving from Toronto to Syracuse NY (300miles one way) to Oneida to pick up a 2hp or 3hp super Gorilla (have not decided what one yet)
For those of you that picked yours up, can you confirm that it will all fit in a mini van? I am trying to do the math with the shipping container sizes posted on their website, but I am still not sure.
I also have a car with a trailer that I know will fit, but would prefer to take the van.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Roy Wall
11-08-2006, 9:00 PM
Chris -

Here ya go...... 3 main boxes - (and a fourth for filter) 2 hp Super Gorilla

35 gal drum
cone & other parts
top cylinder & motor.

Should be able to handle it with seats folded down... but then there is ductwork.... just keep going back inside the Oneida Warehouse till your full !!! :)

Call them first - they'll give you the packing list and dimensions...

Travis Porter
11-08-2006, 9:40 PM
I got mine with the 55 gallon drum, and it was a full pallet. I would think you could do it, but it will be tight.

chris del
11-08-2006, 9:50 PM
Their site says 40" x 70" x ???? no height?
40 x 70 will fit in the van as long as it is not 48" high.

Geoff Harris
11-08-2006, 11:48 PM
I picked my 2HP gorilla up at a UPS depot, the boxes filled my Honda CRV and about half of my brothers Nissan Pathfinder. I had one extra box with some flex hose in it. The main boxes were:
1. The blower assembly
2. The cone.
3. The cylinder that attaches above the cone.
4. The filter.
5. The barrel

You could unpack the boxes and things would likely fit for sure.

Geoff.

chris del
11-09-2006, 12:12 AM
I picked my 2HP gorilla up at a UPS depot, the boxes filled my Honda CRV and about half of my brothers Nissan Pathfinder. I had one extra box with some flex hose in it. The main boxes were:
1. The blower assembly
2. The cone.
3. The cylinder that attaches above the cone.
4. The filter.
5. The barrel

You could unpack the boxes and things would likely fit for sure.

Geoff.

CRV + Pathfinder, I know both vehicles very well and they have very little storage capacity compared to a mini van.

I am still a little worried. 4+ hour drive to find out it wont fit???
Dont tell me that I will have to mock up 5 boxes tomorrow and phyically try them????
I have a Pontiac Montana extended (about 10 inches longer than the normal one)
I would prefer not to drive my car and trailer..... Trailer sucks the gas!!

Chris

Tom Ruflin
11-09-2006, 2:08 AM
Bring some packing blankets, it all gets smaller if you take some of it out of the boxes. I picked up my 3hp with some duct work in a Ford Ranger with a 6 foot long box so I would think you could make at least the cyclone fit. I used alot of rope to hold it all in (no cap).

Ken Werner
11-09-2006, 9:26 AM
seems to me that a gorilla would sit anywhere he wants in my car.

Ken

Mike Spanbauer
11-09-2006, 12:27 PM
I agree w/ the others that if you unpack some of the items you'll do much better for space. There is a LOT of packing material and cardboard / air that probably doubles total shipping volume.

Take a number of soft blankets and you'll be good. I'm confident I could get my 2000 in a mini-van w/o the cardboard. With the pallet stood 48x48x 76" though.

mike

Al Willits
11-09-2006, 6:26 PM
Any chance ya can rent or borrow one of them small ultility trailers?
Not sure if you have a hitch or not, or whether one can be installed cheap enough to be worth it.

Al

chris del
11-09-2006, 7:06 PM
Any chance ya can rent or borrow one of them small ultility trailers?
Not sure if you have a hitch or not, or whether one can be installed cheap enough to be worth it.

Al

Al,

I have a 5 x 8 utility trailer that will easily fit one Gorilla, probably two....
I would rather not take it as it costs a fortune in gas to tow that thing, and also being ope, I would be afraid of it raining.....

I think the concensus is that it will fit in the van if I take it out of the boxes, but I would prefer not to as I have to cross the border. I would be afraid that I would get a hard time if the product was not in int packaging.

Chris

Chris

Michael Gabbay
11-09-2006, 7:35 PM
Chris - It should. I picked up my 3hp using a trailer and I'm sure if you take out the seats of the mini van you should not have any problems.

Say Hi to Heather!

Mike

chris del
11-09-2006, 8:13 PM
Chris - It should. I picked up my 3hp using a trailer and I'm sure if you take out the seats of the mini van you should not have any problems.

Say Hi to Heather!

Mike

Not sure if you were talking to me, but if you were, who the heck is Heather?

Jim Becker
11-09-2006, 8:17 PM
who the heck is Heather?

One of the very fine folks at Onieda... ;)

Doug Shepard
11-09-2006, 8:19 PM
Any chance the minivan has a roofrack? If so, you could tie some of the lighter weight stuff up top and cover it with a tarp. That might free up enough inside space for the bigger heavier stuff.

Mike Spanbauer
11-10-2006, 1:10 PM
She left the company in March or April...

She was my Sales rep originally... couldn't get any reason why she was gone, just that she was.

mike

Matt Meiser
11-10-2006, 1:33 PM
I don't see why having it out of the boxes would be any problem at customs since you'll have a bill of sale. If anything, the fact that they can see everything would probably be better than big sealed boxes.

Scott Hochuli
11-13-2006, 3:38 PM
Well Chris??
We're sitting on pins and needles to know which gorilla you ended up buying, and whether or not it fit in the minivan? Is the "gloat" thread coming?

Matt Meiser
11-13-2006, 4:27 PM
Maybe my advise on customs didn't work out for him. :eek: :D

chris del
11-13-2006, 4:31 PM
Well Chris??
We're sitting on pins and needles to know which gorilla you ended up buying, and whether or not it fit in the minivan? Is the "gloat" thread coming?

Didnt go friday as they ended up doing inventory. I did however depart from Toronto Canada today @3:45 AM.....arriving @ Oneida in Syracuse NY at 8:15AM.... (270 miles, one way)
I had been talking too, via phone and e-mail with Don @ Oneita for a week or so prior to making the trip. I met Don this morning when I arrived. He is a young guy 25-30, very professional and personable. I can only say that without employees like him even the best of products would not be as successful. He gave me the plant tour , taking the time to explain manufacturing process, shipping etc.
He will probably kill me for mentioning his name but this kid is a class act and his employer is lucky to have him.
I would reccomend anyone that is considering a Oneita to speak with him @ ext# 108.

Anyway, The recommendation from Oneita for my needs was a 2hp Gorilla, but I came home with the 3hp!
My wife and I have plans of moving in 3-4 years, and a bigger shop and more machines is hopfully in the future.
As far as the fit in our Pontiac Montana, no problem....tonnes of room to spare.

I was home by 2:30 pm......little tired.

Chris

Jim Becker
11-13-2006, 4:32 PM
Congrats on your new Gorilla, Chris!

Doug Shepard
11-13-2006, 4:47 PM
He will probably kill me for mentioning his name but this kid is a class act and his employer is lucky to have him.
Chris

I'm sure he wont mind. He's probably standing behind his boss right now with a printout of your post while he asks for a raise.:D

Glad everything worked out.

Jim O'Dell
11-13-2006, 5:23 PM
Congrats on the new cyclone. Use it in good health!! Jim.

Mike Spanbauer
11-13-2006, 6:50 PM
Congrats on the new addition! They are well built machines.

Glad to hear it made the trip okay.

mike

Michael Gabbay
11-13-2006, 7:51 PM
I can't believe Heather left!!! :eek:

You say she left in March or April? I bought my 3HP around that time. Could I have driven her that crazy???? :D

Good luck with setting up the Gorilla. The hardest part is standing the beast upright.

chris del
11-16-2006, 8:03 PM
Well, here it is..... Installed and wired up!
This thing really sucks!!!

I am looking forward to plumbing it in this weekend, providing all the wyes come in on time.
Is it normal for the dust bin to get sucked off the ground when I turn this on???

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i309/pickeringwoodworker/ADC.jpg

http://http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i309/pickeringwoodworker/ADC.jpg

Travis Porter
11-16-2006, 8:27 PM
Yes! It is normal (at least for me) for the dust bin to suck up off the ground. It quits when it gets about a 1/3 full.

As an FYI, I added additional braces on the wall mount bracket on my unit as it had too much give and worried me how much it would rock.

Good luck with the piping, and be sure to wear gloves. I didn't, and I regretted it.

Jim Becker
11-16-2006, 8:38 PM
Very nice, Chris! (and very yellow... :D ) BTW, don't run it without some duct work or hose attached... ;) Also try very hard if you can to get a little bit of a straight shot into the inlet if you can rather than going directly to the elbow. I know...difficult in a small shop and the system will still work fine if you can't. But it will be happier if you do! (Less turbulence going in)

chris del
11-16-2006, 9:09 PM
I really dont have much of a choice, I have to do a 45 right at the machine.... The good thing is that I only have a 15' run to my major machines TS, jointer and shaper, and about 30' run to the BS......
Why is it not ok to run without ducting?

Chris

Doug Shepard
11-16-2006, 9:14 PM
Wow! 3 days after picking it up and you've got the install that far? I've been struggling for 3 days just playing Whack-a-mole chasing a gap out between the transition and filter stack on my ClearVue after getting my cleanout box built. Sure makes that Oneida out-of-the-box experience look good. Congratulations.

Jim Becker
11-16-2006, 9:59 PM
Why is it not ok to run without ducting?

It can overload the motor. There usually is a notice somewhere on this, either on the machine or in the documentation. At least there was on both Oneida systems I've owned.

chris del
11-16-2006, 10:12 PM
It can overload the motor. There usually is a notice somewhere on this, either on the machine or in the documentation. At least there was on both Oneida systems I've owned.

Motors draw more under load, the restriction of ducting and blast gates would create more load than a open system, So I am having trouble grasping why the motor would overheat....
In the manual, it says after installation of all ducting, open all blast gates and check amp draw.... Its kinda against what I know about electrical motors.....

Michael Gabbay
11-16-2006, 10:14 PM
Chris - Great job! It took me a week to get mine built and in place. And another week to plumb and seal the ductwork. If you can, seal the straight pipe before you install. You'll end up having to seal everything, even the elbows. This thing REALLY SUCKS!!! :eek:

Jim Becker
11-16-2006, 10:30 PM
Motors draw more under load, the restriction of ducting and blast gates would create more load than a open system,
Nope. Just the opposite. The motor is under more load when it's moving more air...which is what happens when things are wide open. Without a small amount of restriction that a reasonable amount of duct will provide, it will, in effect, move too much air which puts the amperage draw above where you want it to max out. I know this doesn't sound logical at first...it didn't for me, either...but it's a fact that the system is working harder when it's moving max air. (When all the gates are closed, there is near zero load on the motor as the impeller isn't pushing any air at all) This is one of the reasons that folks measuring systems will measure amperage when optimizing duct and hood size. When the amperage reaches the max rating, you have as much CFM as you want to allow.

Michael Gabbay
11-17-2006, 9:03 AM
Chris - when I installed mine I would check for leaks by placing a scrap piece of ply over the end of the duct run (don't cover the opening entirely). I tried to check for leaks and seal as I installed the duct work.

Mike