PDA

View Full Version : HELP Old Fogey needs help VS McAfee

Carl Eyman
11-08-2006, 8:20 PM
Well over a year ago I bought anti-virus and spam protection from McAfee. Charged the cost to a credit card. They have a provision that they'll renew the service every year by charging your credit card, but ask you to give them the "OK" before they do. Well, the anniversary date came up while I was away from home recuperating from my hip replacement; so I was not getting my e-mail regularly.

When I did got home I found a message from McAfee several times a day asking me if I wanted them to renew my anti-virus saftware. The message offered 2 alternatives- (1) Renew it Now, or (2) Renew it Later.

For a month I checked the latter button and hit OK. Meanwhile I searched through search services on how to contact McAfee without success.

Evidently, sometime I checked the "renew it now" option by mistake. Now, for the past 3 weeks I've been getting pop-ups that give me a message saying I must restart my computer to install the unwanted software. It, too, offers two options: (1) Restart Now or (2) Restart Later. So far I've selected restart later w/o fail, but someday I'll goof and then I'll owe them money.

I've been monitoring my credit card account to be sure they have not charged me. If they do, I'll protest, of course, but does anyone know a way I can sever this relation NOW and not have to contend with these pop-ups?

Ian Abraham
11-08-2006, 8:51 PM
2 choices.

1 = pay up and keep using the product.

2 = Remove Mcafee via the Control Panel / Add_Remove programs. This will un-install the program completely (Hopefully), but you then need to install something else. If you dont want to pay you can download AVG free virus scanner and Zone Alarm personal firewall for no cost.

Cheers

Ian

Carl Eyman
11-08-2006, 8:59 PM
Thanks, Ian. I already have AVG

Derek Rose
11-08-2006, 9:10 PM
800-338-8754

Carl Eyman
11-08-2006, 9:20 PM
Derek: thanks, I'll call there if I have further trouble, but it seems as if Ian's advice has worked, though it took two whacks at it to make it stick. Thanks to all