PDA

View Full Version : I love walnut scraps!!!

Brad Hammond
10-27-2003, 9:20 PM
I dont think i've posted a pen pic on sawmill yet, so here goes.
these are made from some walnut scraps that have the sapwood accents. cigar pens with platinum finish. my fave finish.

thanx for looking
cya
brad

Brad Hammond
10-27-2003, 9:25 PM
I dont think i've posted a pen pic on sawmill yet, so here goes.
these are made from some walnut scraps that have the sapwood accents. cigar pens with platinum finish. my fave finish.

thanx for looking
cya
brad

screwed up

Jim Becker
10-27-2003, 10:15 PM
Those are great, Brad. It amazes me that turners are, for the most part, the only woodworkers who regularly celebrate the beautiful contrast between the sapwood and heartwood of species such as walnut and cherry. It's rare to see this in flat work, even with good examples by folks like George Nakashima. Those pens of yours are top notch!

Brad Hammond
10-28-2003, 9:40 AM
Those are great, Brad. It amazes me that turners are, for the most part, the only woodworkers who regularly celebrate the beautiful contrast between the sapwood and heartwood of species such as walnut and cherry. It's rare to see this in flat work, even with good examples by folks like George Nakashima. Those pens of yours are top notch!

thanx jim....................love the new photo!!

Steve Clardy
10-28-2003, 9:43 AM
Looking good Brad. Wish you were closer, I have boxes full of walnut scraps destined for the wood stove.
Steve

Matt Bridges
10-28-2003, 7:04 PM
I really like how you used the sapwood in those, they look great. We had a guy come in the shop a couple months ago that makes mandolins by hand. He brought one with him and the back was cherry. He had book matched it so there was a stripe of sapwood down the middle of the back about 2 inches wide. It made a beautiful backing to the mandolin.

Matt