PDA

View Full Version : F250 tranny problems?

Sam Howe
11-08-2006, 5:40 PM
Much as I don't want to, I need to replace my 1997 F250 w/ a gas engine. It doesn't have the towing capacity for our travel trailer.

There's a 1999 F250HD I'm going to look at tonight. Has the turbo diesel and an auto tranny. I'm not sure, but I think I remember someone telling me that you want to avoid an auto tranny in 1999 trucks.

Also, is the truck worth the $13,000? It's the extended cab, 4wd, and has a 6" lift with 35" tires on it. The pictures show it in pretty good shape.

A quick response would be appreciated, i'll be leaving in an hour to go look at it.

Thanks, Sam

Robert Mickley
11-08-2006, 6:20 PM
With a 6 inch lift and 35 inch tires I wouldn't waste my time. Any time you start messing with the geometry of a drive line your asking for trouble. I would not buy an automatic for towing. But thats just me I much prefer a standard transmission in a truck And check http://www.kbb.com/ They will give you the blue book value on it. Diesels tend to hold their value

Jack Dickey
11-09-2006, 5:11 AM
I've hadda couple power strokes ,, I think it was in 2000 that Ford changed the tranny .. Some autos were croaking the tranny in real short order with towing .. But in fairness I know of one powerstroke auto F350 that has over 150,000 on it and no problems with the tranny , and well over 75 % of those miles are towing a 42' fifth wheel ..
But nah , no auto for towing ..

Jason Roehl
11-09-2006, 7:41 AM
'99 should be okay for trannies. That tranny started out as the E4OD in about '89 or '90, got some serious upgrades in about '94 or '95, then later was renamed the 4R100, along with some more upgrades ('98 or so, I think). I'd have to agree with Robert that the lift and taller tires aren't good for towing. You'll start running into more problems with axle wrap, and you'll be more likely to break something in your suspension. There is another forum on the web where you can COMpound your knowledge of "FORD-TRUCKS".