PDA

View Full Version : PEX plumbing

Jim Bills
11-08-2006, 11:26 AM
Has anyone here ever done a PEX plumbing project? I am going to be forced to replace my 30 year old galvanized water pipes in our house. Several of the horizontal runs have started developing pin holes right through the body of the pipe. These leaking pipes are between the ceiling of the downstairs, and the floor of the upstairs to further complicate the issue.

Thanks, Jim

Dan Racette
11-08-2006, 11:53 AM
I have done some very small projects with Pex. I have used several different systems. The push in plastic, the push loc brass and I just picked up a crimper. I thinkt he crimper is going to be the way to go, but you need to test is with a go/no go gauge meticulously. The platic pushlocs were worthless IMHO, but the brass were the bomb and I used them on a copper to pex interface. they are horribly expensive!

good luck!

skip coyne
11-08-2006, 12:10 PM
heres a video on pex that explains it a bit

http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuilding/pages/hvt073.asp

Wes Bischel
11-08-2006, 2:26 PM
Jim,
A friend just plumbed his new home with PEX. He and his wife did the whole job by themselves. He is very well versed in building practices and he could not say enough good things about the system (including the manifold systems). Naturally I had to tease him about his "garden hoses", but I would consider PEX if I were redoing my plumbing.

FWIW,
Wes

Jim Bills
11-08-2006, 2:58 PM
Wes, Can you find out what system he used. Watts, Wirsbo, Rehau, etc. and what tools he used to make the connections.

Thanks for all your replys so far.

Jim Bills

Cliff Rohrabacher
11-08-2006, 3:15 PM
Best as I can say is Run!!! do not walk to the copper isle or at least the PVC isle

Jim Bills
11-08-2006, 4:01 PM
Best as I can say is Run!!! do not walk to the copper isle or at least the PVC isle

Cliff, On what basis do you make that fairly broad statement? Past experience, etc.?

While I do appreciate your feedback, I am firmly committed to Pex. This commitmant is based on over 2 years research. I am totally competent running copper tubing, but I think PEX is the potable water distribution system of the future.

Thanks, Jim Bills

Mitchell Andrus
11-08-2006, 4:07 PM
I installed my hot water heating system (tore out the steam pipes and radiators) with a similar product 20+ years ago. No problems. Just stay away from any plastic connectors that you can, copper or brass is better able to cope with stress.

Mitch

Jim Becker
11-08-2006, 8:25 PM
I specified PEX for our addition project...we have acid water that eats copper and I do not want any "new" copper in our system, especially in places that it's not accessible. PEX is a proven product at this point and offers a lot of installation efficiencies, both in routing and in reducing labor assembling the system.

Jim, "sometimes" the 'borg will have a PEX product, but you are likely better off sourcing from a plumbing supplier, either brick-and-mortar or online. You also need to pick the "termination system" you want to use...there are a number of them and the fittings and tools need to match. Also, remember that PEX must be "buried" in the structure so there is no UV light exposure...that will degrade it.

Wes Bischel
11-08-2006, 9:46 PM
Wes, Can you find out what system he used. Watts, Wirsbo, Rehau, etc. and what tools he used to make the connections.

Thanks for all your replys so far.

Jim Bills

Jim,
I'll send him a note - they're in WV now - retired.:D I'll let you know what he says.

Wes