PDA

View Full Version : First Time Finishing Kitchen Cabinets

Rick Bullick
11-08-2006, 10:13 AM
Well, this past weekend I was planing and ripping the wood for my face frames when my wife started bugging my on how I am going to finish the cabinets. Unfortunately I live in the moment, and she's thinking 8 steps ahead. I haven't even stated ripping out the old kitchen yet and she wants to know what tile we're putting on the floor!

Anyway, I am relatively new to woodworking and the projects I have completed before usually has some kind of stain and 3 coats of poly. The cabinets are white maple and the carcasses are unfinished maple veneered plywood. We want to keep it light, so probably no stain, but is poly the way to go on the cabinets (and the insides?) Or is there another way? Thanks for the help.

Lars Thomas
11-08-2006, 1:43 PM
I don't have spray equipment, so I'd use a water based poly on the doors and frames. I'd use shellac on the interiors.

John Hemenway
11-08-2006, 8:59 PM
If you can spray, Target Coatings Oxford Ultima Spray Lacquer. Water borne so minimum health hazards.

Roy Wall
11-08-2006, 9:06 PM
If you can spray, Target Coatings Oxford Ultima Spray Lacquer. Water borne so minimum health hazards.

John,

Is this a quick drying laquer... Like 5-10 coats in a day stuff using one of those LV type sprayers?? If so, sounds like a slick way to make a temporary booth in the Garage and save a LOT of time....

John Hemenway
11-09-2006, 9:16 AM
IIRC, it's a 1 hour recoat time. Best to check their website, targetcoatings.com, for all the answers. It's waterborne so cleanup is NOT lacquer thinner! It's also not going to blow up in your face either. :eek:

I'm new at this and I can do it. That fits my definition of 'fool proof'.

I do use a respirator, don't want to breathe small droplets of anything!

I'm using the Wagner HVLP conversion gun.

You can read more about both at Jim Becker's (local admin of note!) website.

John,

Is this a quick drying laquer... Like 5-10 coats in a day stuff using one of those LV type sprayers?? If so, sounds like a slick way to make a temporary booth in the Garage and save a LOT of time....

Larry Fox
11-09-2006, 10:05 AM
If you are considering using Target coatings for kitchen cabinets you might also take a look at their conversion varnish (EM8000 series). It is a bit more durable than the USL but a bit more persnikety to spray and does not burn-in as well as the USL. If you have not bought the material for your boxes you should give the pre-finished ply a look. It is really nice stuff and will save you a ton of time. Either of the finishes you mention should definitely be sprayed but Jeff Jewitt has an article on wiping them on if you want to go that route. Spraying a set of kitchen cabinets in the hobby shop takes a LOT of time (DAMHIKT) - I can't imagine brusing or wiping them.

There is a very well-done manual on the Target Coatings website that gives an overview of their products. They also have a very active discussion forum and questions are typically responded to by the owner of the company and he is very knowledable. If you do end up going the WB route, do yourself a favor and pick-up a wet-film thickness guage. Takes the guesswork out of it.