PDA

View Full Version : Making Drawers

Jim Guy
11-08-2006, 8:30 AM
I have had a shop for about three years now. Outside of one 2 day course I have just read books and picked up much here on the creek. While I have made a number of drawers I feel certain I have lots to learn. I think making the drawer is pretty stright forward but the final fit and what hardware to use when, is always just a shot in the dark for me.
The question - has anyone read a book that has helped them in this area? I know there are many out there, but I wanted to get something that someone else found helpful.
Thanks in advance.

Alan Turner
11-08-2006, 8:39 AM
Jim,
Phil Lowe's article in an older FWW is very good in terms of traditional drawers. I rarely use hardware, so can't help you there.

Tom Marchner
11-09-2006, 10:25 AM
I've learned a lot about drawers from these two books, but they both have a lot to offer on many other woodworking matters:

Designing and Building Cabinets. The Taunton Press, 2004.

This book has several articles on building drawers, including one by an award-winning craftsman named Alan Peters emphasizing making a perfect fit for drawers.

Practical Design Solutions and Strategies: Key Advice for Sound Construction from Fine Woodworking. The Taunton Press, 2000.

This excellent book has taught me much about both functional design and construction design options. Note especially the article by Gary Rogowski titled "Drawer Design Strategies."