PDA

View Full Version : ShopBot and stone / ceramic

Thomas Hempleman
11-08-2006, 1:06 AM
Does anyone familiar with Shop Bot know if there are special router bits that would allow engraving on ceramic tile or granite, marble and slate? I've used routers for years on wood, but I don't know anything about using them on harder materials. I would imagine there would be a concern with heat build-up on the bit and maybe some extra stress on the router motor and bearings. I do a lot of etching with my laser, but I would like a true engraving on hard materials without resorting to cutting masks and sand carving.

Thanks, folks!

Keith Outten
11-08-2006, 7:28 AM
Thomas,

Machining the softer variety of stones is done on the ShopBot. I have seen threads on the ShopBot Forum about routing marble and I believe they used carbide bits but I don't remember whether they were C2 carbide or something else. Granite might be just as easy as marble to machine, I don't know. I have a tile saw and have cut both marble and granite and the saw cuts both easilly, routing my be a different animal.

I spent some time at the ShopBot Camp in Kitty Hawk NC a couple weeks ago and discussed machining aluminum with one of the SB technicians. Apparently aluminum is easier to route that most people would think.