PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Advice

Gregg Feldstone
11-08-2006, 12:42 AM
I will be buying my first lathe and need help.
I would like to buy the best made, best performing lathe I can for up to $500. I am looking at the General Int. Maxi-Lathe, Rikon, Turncrafters, and Jet Lathes. I know these smaller lathes are limited in their capabilities. If I get good at it I will probably buy a larger, professional quality machine later on.
Any advise?

Dario Octaviano
11-08-2006, 12:45 AM
Look at the Jet mini VS and see if you like it. If you can arrange a trial either at a store or a turning club.

Greg Koch
11-08-2006, 2:06 AM
Gregg,

What is your total budget?

I just bought a Jet mini (non "VS") for $209. I have ordered a set of chisels, and a 4 pc sharpening jig set for a total $192. I have some others stuff to get, and I know I will spend another $50 ~ $100.

I heard turning is adicitive, but I didn't realize how much it would fall so head over heels in love with my wallet! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Tom Hintz
11-08-2006, 2:46 AM
I have started using the JET Mini over the last couple of months and have thrashed it for all it's worth. VERY nice little machine that does far more than I thought a mini could. I have a full-sized lathe also but constantly find myself going to the mini if at all possible.
See the link below for my review and some examples of that these little machines are capable of.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/jwl1014rvu.html

Bob Noles
11-08-2006, 6:37 AM
Gregg,

The Jet mini has held the #1 spot for a very long time. There must be a good reason for that.

I recently traded to a Jet VS mini and love the little thing.

Corey Hallagan
11-08-2006, 8:15 AM
If it was me, I would go with the new GI maxi lathe. I have a PSI Procrafter now and it has the same specs as the non vs Jet and is basically the same lathe. If and when I upgrade,, it will be to the GI Maxi Lathe. That is one slick lathe!

Corey

Dennis Peacock
11-08-2006, 9:00 AM
Go with the Jet VS Mini.....You will not regret the decision based on all the ones I've turned on and as many turners that have them? You can't really go wrong.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-08-2006, 9:39 AM
Gregg............I was gifted by inmates here with Jet VS Mini. Having never turned, I'm sure I was rougher on that little rascal than most. Reminds you of Timex................takes a licking and keeps on ticking!"

Pete Jordan
11-08-2006, 10:18 AM
I have the General Maxi ordered and Woodcraft said it shipped from Canada yesterday. Hopefully by the weekend. I paid $529 plus $125 for the stand since I am not handy like the rest of these people.

Bernie Weishapl
11-08-2006, 10:34 AM
Gregg if you get a chance to try one you might try the Rikon at Woodcraft. I bought one and love it. Yea it takes 45 seconds to change speeds. Two things it will do though is it will turn a 12" plate or bowl and you can change the belt without tearing the lathe down to get to it. I put it thru it paces pretty hard. My big lathe has been sitting since I bought it. Just my $1.298.

Daniel Heine
11-08-2006, 1:09 PM
Hello,

I have the 15" Crfatsman lathe from Sears, and I am very happy with it. It's $480.00 plus tax, so it is in your price range, but you will still need to buy a set of turning tools to go with it.

Start saving, once you fall into tis never ending pit, it's a freefall to being broke!!!

Happy Turning,
Dan Heine

Gregg Feldstone
11-09-2006, 3:58 AM
Anyone here already using the General Int. Maxi-Lathe?
It's heavier than the others mentioned at 106 lb. Is the extra weight better? Any opinions on some of the 14" lathes in the $500-$700 price range?

Pete Jordan
11-09-2006, 8:43 AM
Anyone here already using the General Int. Maxi-Lathe?
It's heavier than the others mentioned at 106 lb. Is the extra weight better? Any opinions on some of the 14" lathes in the $500-$700 price range?
On this sheet it comes in at 146lbs.

http://www.general.ca/pagemach/machines/25200a.html

Alan Trout
11-09-2006, 1:23 PM
Pete be sure to keep us updated on the general 25-200. I am very intrested. I want to start turning and have seriously been considering this lathe.

Thanks,

Alan

Gregg Feldstone
11-11-2006, 1:17 AM
Pete,
I thought you were getting the non vs model 25-100.
Do you consider the no vs model? Do most turners think the vs is important?

Ken Fitzgerald
11-11-2006, 1:55 AM
Gregg.........I'll try to answer a couple of your questions. 1) More weight is better in that when you initially try to spin up an unbalanced piece of wood it will cause vibration and often will cause your lathe to try to bounce/vibrate and move. The more weight you have in your lathe and it's stand, the better it resists the vibration. On smaller lathes, people will often attach them to a stand that can have weight added to the stand in the form of sand and/or sand bags. Some stands have "hollow legs" that can be filled with sand.

2) In the same vain, variable speed can be of use to minimize the vibration discussed above, often by turning the unbalanced piece of wood at the slowest speed possible. After you initially round the piece of unbalanced wood, it becomes balanced and the vibration is minimized. Therefore, when looking at a lathe......the slower speed it will turn the better handling of unbalanced pieces. Really good electronically controlled lathes will go down to "0" RPM, which means you can reduce the vibration dramatically.

IN short......heavier lathes have more mass/weight and cost more......the slower a lathe will turn, the better it will handle the initial turning of unbalanced pieces of wood and this too costs more

If all things were the same between two lathes...quality-wise .......and the only thing different was weight....I'd take the heavier one

If all things were the same between 2 lathes quality-wise and one lathe would run at a slower speed......I'd take the one with a slower speed.

My Jet VS Mini will only turn a piece 9 1/2 " in diameter and goes down to 500 RPM. Even with a small piece...ie 9 1/2"....if that piece is out of balance, 500 RPM is WAY TOO FAST.

JMO...BOLE