PDA

View Full Version : Antler Turning Help

Ernie Kuhn
11-07-2006, 9:10 PM
Help,
Including a couple of deer antler slices in pen and don't know if the open cell/porous center section has to be filled with CA before turning/gluing sections of wood on either side? One side glued already but thought I'd ask before gluing other side of wood to it.
Thanks in advance
Ernie

Don Orr
11-09-2006, 9:27 AM
If you think it might be a good idea to fill the pores, it probably is. Solid smooth surfaces are usually better to glue together. Let us see what you come up with.

Keith Nielsen
11-09-2006, 1:44 PM
Hi Ernie,

It depends on how much of the antler is marrowy and how much bone is left. For me when I slice antler and put it in wood the simple action of gluing the wood to the antler will stablize the marrow part enough to start turning. While turning if you use a skew only and just shave it down then you will have better luck with the antler and the wood combined. if you notice the antler starting to shave off to easy then I stop and apply CA as needed then continue on. About 1/32 before you reach the desired depth then CA it all and use 80 grit from here on out to get to the desired depth it will even out your highs and lows as bone is harder than wood.

Good Luck
Keith

Ernie Kuhn
11-09-2006, 10:48 PM
Don, Keith,
Thank you both. Keith, thank you for the suggestion about using the skew. Will let you know and post a couple of pics in a day or two. Again, really appreciate your help as I was at a loss on how to proceed.
Ernie