PDA

View Full Version : Jet vs. Bessey

Dave Bureau
11-07-2006, 5:21 PM
Can anyone compare the jet parallel clamps to the bessey's. rockler has the Jet Kit on sale for $99.00 includes 2- 40", 2- 24", 4- framing stands and 8 bench dogs. I thought that was a good price. If they compare well to the bessey clamps, i may buy a few sets.
Dave

Aaron Frank
11-07-2006, 5:49 PM
I don't own either, but I know that some of the magazines are pretty impressed with the Jet clamps. Is there a sale code for the kit? I was just looking and they it is listed at $159.99.

If the deal is for real, it would be worth the investment.

Aaron

john lawson
11-07-2006, 6:31 PM
I own about 25 Bessey's and bought 4 new Jet parrallel clamps about two months ago.

The Jet clamps are superior in every way except one; The piece of metal that "bites" the serrated ribs on the edge of the bar and causes the clamp to come to full tension are a little suspect. I used my clamps for about a week and one of them failed. By failed I mean that when you tighted the clamp the screw will turn but the other jaw does not tighten properly. I called Jet and they immediately sent me a new one. The other clamps are fine, and the new one works well. They did not ask me to return the one that failed so I will work on that one to see if I can repair it.

I will buy more of the Jet clamps. Their overall design is one or two generations ahead of Bessey. Other than the one quality issue I love them. While I still value and use my Bessey's every day any new clamps will probably be Jet.

john lawson

Dave Bureau
11-07-2006, 7:14 PM
the deal i saw was at the store today, its not advertised. 99.00 for the kit. they also have the portercable router 7518 for 269.00 with base.

Les Spencer
11-07-2006, 7:22 PM
I own about 25 Bessey's and bought 4 new Jet parrallel clamps about two months ago.

The Jet clamps are superior in every way except one; The piece of metal that "bites" the serrated ribs on the edge of the bar and causes the clamp to come to full tension are a little suspect. I used my clamps for about a week and one of them failed. By failed I mean that when you tighted the clamp the screw will turn but the other jaw does not tighten properly. I called Jet and they immediately sent me a new one. The other clamps are fine, and the new one works well. They did not ask me to return the one that failed so I will work on that one to see if I can repair it.

I will buy more of the Jet clamps. Their overall design is one or two generations ahead of Bessey. Other than the one quality issue I love them. While I still value and use my Bessey's every day any new clamps will probably be Jet.

john lawson

I agree with John. I have about the same amount of Besseys. I just bought my second set of the Jet clamps from Rockler. The Jets are just more user friendly.:D

Paul Kinneberg
11-07-2006, 10:14 PM
The Jets are simply a better Bessey!! I'm not throwing my Besseys away but the added features of the Jets will get my money.

Dave Bureau
11-08-2006, 7:40 AM
well it looks like i'll be getting some of those jet clamps. 4 sets should be enough for now.

Keith Beck
11-08-2006, 12:34 PM
Dave,

I have a potpourri of K-Body style clamps: Besseys, Gross Stabils, Woodcraft green Besseys and the Jets. I've been buying different types as I find them on sale to get a feel for which ones I like best. I've got to say, the Jets are by far, my favorites. They just seem to operate much easier and seem better built. All my future clamp purchases will be Jets.

Keith