PDA

View Full Version : Veneer Poll

Dave Avery
10-27-2003, 3:07 PM
Most of the projects posted here seem to be constucted of solid wood materials. I've recently started working with veneer, mainly because the best figured logs seem to get sliced to 1/42" rather than 1". I'm curious how many people here regularly work with veneer. For those who don't, why not......... Dave.

Noah Alkinburgh
10-27-2003, 3:20 PM
I had to vote never.

Its just a mater of I still haven't got the solid wood part down.

I would like to try it sometime, but right now its a never.

noah

Ed Falis
10-27-2003, 3:26 PM
Same situation as Noah - still working on the basics.

- Ed

Glenn Clabo
10-27-2003, 3:33 PM
Dave,
I went on a veneer kick a while back. Never really enjoyed it. I think it was mainly because it seems like much more work. You still have to cut all the base material and then veneer it. I don't do it for a living now so I think I may still do it once in a while in very specific places...but solid wood has an attraction I can't kick.

Ted Shrader
10-27-2003, 3:39 PM
Steve -

I logged in as sometimes - but it really should be rarely. Just a little bit more often than never.

Ted

Richard Allen
10-27-2003, 3:46 PM
I often will use plywood. Plywood is a veneer.

Jim Becker
10-27-2003, 4:07 PM
I chose "never", but more accurately should have input "sometimes"...but it was only on one project and it was close to 5 years ago! The small bow-front dresser shown below was actually a reconstruction...new top and sides of solid mahogany, but the drawerfronts and base were re-veneered. (This pic is before finish was applied)

jerry cousins
10-27-2003, 4:14 PM
i have been using veneers for the past 1 1/2 years. after many years of solid wood construction (cabinets, chests, tables, armoirs) have now incorporated veneers whenever i can. used either for large flat surfaces, furniture decortations, or just a nice hanging "wood picture."

i do not use store bought veneers - but cut my own to 5/64's and then use the "double bevel" cutting method to fabricate the piece.

have attached 2 pictures - a work in progress - rococco face -- the bottom part has the pieces cut in - while the top is the pattern traced on the background.

the 2nd is a simple clock with a marquetry face & 2 flowers on the case.

jerry

Ed Falis
10-27-2003, 4:47 PM
That's really impressive work, Jerry.

- Ed

Jim Becker
10-27-2003, 5:05 PM
i have been using veneers for the past 1 1/2 years...

Wow! Nice work, Jerry!

Lynn Sonier
10-27-2003, 6:04 PM
My imput - never. I have seen veneer put on with a vacuum pump but have not tried it.

Jamie Buxton
10-27-2003, 7:28 PM
I use veneer fairly often. Veneering is a woodworking technique, just like planing or dovetailing or sanding. I use it when appropriate. Occasions that might call for it include ....

* I want the structural benefits of plywood.

* I want to make use of the similarity of grain pattern on sucessive leaves of veneer -- for instance pie-slices on a circular table top.

* I want the most spectacular figure -- curls and quilts and burls and the like.

* I want a wood species unavailable in lumber form in my local lumberyards.

Jamie

Ed Marks
10-27-2003, 8:39 PM
For certain things, I think veneer is better. If you need a peice of something exquisite, it will be much easier to find in veneer than in solid stock. I also think large panels made of ply/veneer have a lot more options than hardwood ply or raised panels.

Here are 3 domed panels for jewery boxes. The first is of some unidentified wood I found in an assortment package (It's been nicknamed Chocolate Zebrawood). The other two are from a stash of birdeye maple I found at a lumberyard. The core is a couple of layers of 1/8" plywood. They were bent around a form in a vaccum press.

Bruce Page
10-27-2003, 9:20 PM
I had to vote never also. Veneering is something that I have always wanted to try, I just haven’t gotten to it – yet!

Ted Calver
10-27-2003, 9:46 PM
Never. But it's on my list of things to try.

Bob Lasley
10-27-2003, 11:03 PM
I have used veneer on one project, a lingerie chest, and though it was a challenging experience, I look forward to more veneer work. I am waiting until I can get a vacuum press constructed or purchased. The platen, cauls and clamps routine was a bit nerve wracking.

Bob

Dennis Peacock
10-27-2003, 11:18 PM
Dave,

Let me say why I voted "sometimes". I only really started doing veneer work since I took on this custom CD Cabinet. I had to "make" most of my own veneer for some of the pieces. I am finding that I like to do veneer work on small stuff as I can get a lot better looking finished piece by using veneer instead of flat sawn lumber. Most of the veneer I make is for inlay work. Still learning and liking that I get done when finished.

David Rose
10-28-2003, 3:09 AM
Like many others, I will try it eventually.

David

Jason Roehl
10-28-2003, 6:37 AM
I had to join the crowd and go with "never." Not because I don't want to try it, but because I haven't gotten around to it (like ALOT of other things). So, maybe someday.

Steve Jenkins
10-28-2003, 11:31 AM
I work with veneers quite a bit for several reasons. One is that you can do things with veneers that you can't do with solid lumber due to expansion constraints. This table top is made from fiddleback Anigre veneer with a solid maple edge. Another reason is as you said it is easier to get the really highly figured and unusual woods in veneer form. If the only place you have looked for plywood is at your local big box store then you are missing out on a lot. Most hardwood suppliers will carry a selection of veneered panels in "standard" hardwoods. Using a veneered panel will make carcass construction easier and faster.
Buying veneer (rather than ply panels) and working with it is somewhat more difficult but with a bit of practice is certainly not beyond the ability of anyone. Steve

Byron Trantham
10-28-2003, 12:23 PM
I haven't tried it but I have thought about it.

Phil Phelps
10-28-2003, 2:28 PM
Buying veneer (rather than ply panels) and working with it is somewhat more difficult but with a bit of practice is certainly not beyond the ability of anyone. Steve

If this isn't an inspiration for those who have not yet worked with veneers, well...... they might be beyond inspiraton. Great table, as usual.

Earl Reid
10-28-2003, 11:17 PM
I used to do a fair amount of veneering, mostly smaller objects, jewelry boxes etc. The largest project was our bedroom set. It was very satisfiying. I liked working with walnut and exotic veneers. I haven't done much in the past 30 yrs.
Earl

Doug Littlejohn
10-29-2003, 4:34 PM
Sometimes. I like veneering as it enables me to use the really highly figured stuff as well as create more stable structures (read larger, flat areas).

I also like the marquetry aspect very much. Allows you to add a personal touch as well as elegant.