PDA

View Full Version : Deer Grunt Call

Royce Meritt
11-07-2006, 1:12 PM
Hi everyone. Just wanted to show off my latest call. This is a deer grunt call. (I'll be able to put this to use in a couple of weeks.)

Nothing special about this call other than the fact that is made from a white oak tree that I harvested from my brother-in-laws farm where I deer hunt. This is the first thing I have ever done starting with a green log. I dried it using the alcohol drying method. It worked great and I am now a firm believer in the alcohol drying method.

Just FYI...the barrel of the call is, of course the white oak from my BIL's farm and the stopper is antler. Thanks for looking.

Brett Baldwin
11-07-2006, 1:21 PM
It is a nice sense of acomplishment to go from standing tree to finished project isn't it? Nice work. BTW, does the antler add authenticity to the grunt?;)

Keith Burns
11-07-2006, 1:35 PM
Not being a hunter all I can say about it is that you have done nice job on the turning and the combination or wood and antler is neat. Good job:)

Royce Meritt
11-07-2006, 1:46 PM
..., does the antler add authenticity to the grunt?;)

Brett-
The antler doesn't really add any authenticity to the grunt. I just like to THINK it does!

Bernie Weishapl
11-07-2006, 5:50 PM
Mighty fine looking call. Nice job.

Corey Hallagan
11-07-2006, 7:08 PM
That's cool Royce. Do you make alot of calls? My son would like me to do some calls for him. What chucks do you use to make them, is a collet chuck necessary? Very nice!

Corey

Martin Shupe
11-07-2006, 9:52 PM
I would like to make some calls when I get better at the lathe....

Not sure when I'll have time for that, though...

Royce Meritt
11-08-2006, 9:10 AM
That's cool Royce. Do you make alot of calls? My son would like me to do some calls for him. What chucks do you use to make them, is a collet chuck necessary? Very nice!

Corey

Corey-
Yes, I guess you would say I make a lot of calls. Most of my calls are made on a pen turning mandrel using expansion bushings. This set-up is available through different sources. I also turn some calls using a wooden mandrel that I made that then allows them to be turned between centers. If you need any info let me know.

Travis White
11-08-2006, 3:26 PM
Really really nice! I could use that!

Corey Hallagan
11-08-2006, 10:14 PM
Thanks Royce! I appreciate it!

Corey