PDA

View Full Version : Christmas comes early -- GLOAT

Ken Salisbury
11-07-2006, 1:04 PM
I bit the bullet Sunday and bought a new computer and printer. I had an old E Machine box with only 250M of memory, a 30GB hard drive, an old HP 895 printer, a 17" Benq flat screen monitor and an old HP 4200C scanner.

I bought a new Gateway GT 5220 with 250GB hard drive, 1Gig of memory, a Samsung 19" flat screen monitor, and a HP C4100 copier/scanner/printer, USB cable, and extra printer cartridges.

I spent the whole day yesterday transferring files and programs from my old machine to the new one. I still have to load some other software, transfer some other files, hook up the printer and check that out.

The new box is super dupper fast, an order of magnitude faster than the old one.

The larger, clearer display is great and much easier on the eyes, I am really going to injoy that.

My 28 yr old GS came over last night, uninstalled my Norton and loaded Avast for my virus protection. I really like it so far. The Norton on my old machine was slower than an atheist on the way to church.

I still have a lot of work to do to take some junk off the new box that came installed as trial kinds of things like AOL, 2 different virus programs and a lot of promotional junk. That stuff will all be gone by tonight.

And to think this all happened when I went to Best Buy just to buy some photo paper.:eek:

Joe Pelonio
11-07-2006, 1:07 PM
Lesson for you, don't buy your paper at Best Buy!!!

Enjoy it.

Brett Baldwin
11-07-2006, 1:16 PM
Imagine what you would have ended up with if you had been going for some printer cartridges! It is amazing how much nicer it is to have a fast computer these days. Just wait till you've had this a while and have to use someone else's slower one. You'll appreciate your new one even more. Congrats Ken.

nic obie
11-07-2006, 1:32 PM
Hey Ken,

Congrats on your new machine.

If you don't already have it, now's the time to switch to high speed DSL. I just switched to Verizon's 3 meg (3000K) service. Because I bundled it with my Direct tv satellite service it only cost $19.95/mo.

Ken Salisbury
11-07-2006, 2:07 PM
Hey Ken,

Congrats on your new machine.

If you don't already have it, now's the time to switch to high speed DSL. I just switched to Verizon's 3 meg (3000K) service. Because I bundled it with my Direct tv satellite service it only cost $19.95/mo.

I have been on Earthlink DSL for years.

The SawMill Creek Fund Drive is underway this month for 2007. We are a Member supported Community, please click here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php) to Support SawMill Creek.

Chuck Wintle
11-07-2006, 4:32 PM
Does your new machine have an Intel or Amd cpu?:)

Ken Salisbury
11-07-2006, 5:06 PM
Does your new machine have an Intel or Amd cpu?:)

AMD processor