PDA

View Full Version : Leapordwood Segmented

Keith Burns
11-07-2006, 11:35 AM
This one contains 147 pieces of Leapordwood with a Bloodwood foot and veneers. Measures 5" dia. x 6-1/4" tall. Wipe on gel poly and buffed. You comments/critiques are welcome. Thanks for looking.

Nancy Laird
11-07-2006, 11:41 AM
Keith, I don't like this one nearly as much as I do the maple segmented one. Maybe the picture doesn't do it justice. It's nice, and I like it, but just doesn't have the pizzazz of the maple piece.

I don't know enough about turning and form to comment on that...I just know whether or not I like the pieces I see on here (and constantly wonder if there will ever come a day when I can do anything remotely similar).

Nancy

Mark Pruitt
11-07-2006, 12:08 PM
LOL--Just to show how differently people can react to the same thing....I like this one better than the maple piece. I like them both actually, but the grain on this one seems to "dance" more, which is cool.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-07-2006, 1:04 PM
I like both the maple and this leopard wood HF. I like the subtlness of the grain pattern in this HF lets the form and major colors dominate.

Charles E. Martin V
11-07-2006, 1:41 PM
I'm with Nancy, something about this piece just doesn't do it for me. However the piece is still an excellent example of your superb craftsmanship.

Bernie Weishapl
11-07-2006, 5:51 PM
Keith that is another beauty. I do like the wood. Nice job.

Dennis Peacock
11-07-2006, 7:24 PM
I think I'm in LOVE.....that's some awsome wood and the forum just begs to be touched and held. Excellent Keith.:D :cool:

Jim Becker
11-07-2006, 8:35 PM
Keith, it's a beautiful piece.

I believe I'd even like it better if it had a more gentle contour on the way to the base...it gets narrow more on a straight line. But that's personal preference.

Jim Ketron
11-07-2006, 11:15 PM
Awesome job Keith!
why dont ya send it to me for a proper critique:D
It might take a long while to give it a good go over;)

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-07-2006, 11:32 PM
Fantastic Segmented piece. While I will not spend the time doing one of those, I appreciate what goes into making them and the quality of the finished piece.

Bruce

Brad Kimbrell
11-08-2006, 12:40 AM
That's a beautiful form and the wood is very cool. I've always liked lacewood and this leopardwood has some of the same characteristics.

What sort of hollowing tool do you use on forms like this? I'm still new to anything other than pen turning so excuse my ignorance but I'm very curious.

Again, the design is very well done. I'm sure the receipient will be very proud.