PDA

View Full Version : Yorkcraft jointer

Michael Handrinos
11-07-2006, 6:46 AM
Hi all. I'm thinking of buying a Yorkcarft 12" jointer. Anyone care to comment on customer service and/or reliablilty? They are on sale until the end of the month.

Thanks

Mike

Stan Mijal
11-07-2006, 9:12 AM
Thsi summer I purchased one of their 15" planers. The persons I spoke with over the phone were very helpfull. Being the first freight-delivered tool I was not aware I should have noted the crate was opened and put back together somewhere along the delivery route. Once inside, the magnetic switch was destroyed. I called Yorkcraft and explained the situatio to them and despite it not being their responsibility (was the shippers, but I should have noted it on receipt of the tool) they sent me another magnetic starter switch. There seems to be a real concern for customer satisfaction!
By the way, the planer was dead nuts on right out of the box. (Yorkcraft states their machines are unpacked, and set up is checked before they are shipped)

Whats the 12 inch jointer going for?

Matt Meiser
11-07-2006, 9:22 AM
I had one of their 8" jointers and had 0 complaints. As with Stan, I found them to be very helpful and the machine was dead on.

Al Willits
11-07-2006, 9:57 AM
I have both the 8" jointer and 15" planer, can't say they were dead on from the factory, but it kinda depends on what you consider "dead on".

Blades in both were with in .003 or .004 thou, readjusted to with in .001 and the jointer tables were off by .003 front to back of each other, a shim on one side of the outfeed table will correct that easily.

Nothing I guess I wouldn't expect, and probably with in the factory specs.
Both units work very nice and the 4 bladed jointer cuts smooth enough I doubt I buy the helix or aftermarket cutting head for that, and the planer with three blades does a very nice job, when used in its slower feed rate.
No after market cutter needed here either imho.

Factory support was good, the planer directions a bit misleading in set up,
but the jointers instructions were good.

All in all, minor things that probably are common to many units.

Would I buy them again?
You bet.

Al

Michael Handrinos
11-07-2006, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the replies. I ordered one today and it should be here in two days!:eek: Never had service like that quick Talked to Tom and thus far he has been very helpful with all my concerns.

Stan. I'm getting it for 1995.00 plus another 108.00 for S&H. That's with lift gate delivery too:D I'm going to the York show Saturday. Anyone else? If you are maybe we could meet somewhere. Haven't met any of you fine folks yet. I don't post much but have learned a lot reading and been inspired by the talent here.

Thanks

Mike

Stan Mijal
11-07-2006, 1:03 PM
Mike,

As Al said, the manuals are a definite weak point (at least with the 15 planer) . Since these machines are the same as a Grizzly models, you can download the manual from the Griz web site.

Allen Bookout
11-07-2006, 1:08 PM
T
Stan. I'm getting it for 19995.00 plus another 108.00 for S&H. That's with lift gate delivery too:D
Mike
For nearly twenty thousand bucks I would be really, really, really nice to you and ship it for free.

I hope that you know that I am kidding as I checked the price.

I delt with Curt at Wilke when I bought my mortiser. He was extremely helpful. Ordered about noon and it was shipped at 4:30. Can't ask for more than that.

Enjoy your new tool.

Allen

Brian Hale
11-07-2006, 7:32 PM
Wilke is a Stand Up company that knows how to treat customers, and Curt (As in Curt Wilke) is a wealth of knowledge and a great guy to deal with. My whole shop is Bridgewood Green except for the MM16 and i've got no regrets.

Congrats on the new jointer! Be sure to let us know how you like it after you get it dusty!

Brian :)

Michael Handrinos
11-07-2006, 8:50 PM
Oops! Allen ya caught me:D I went back and fixed it.;) Anyway, It went out today! I'll let you guys know how well it works and of course I'll have to post pics

Mike

Craig Walls
11-07-2006, 9:11 PM
Man, that sounds exciting! I'd love to pay $108 to have something like that shipped up here (alaska). Luckily, Grizzly has a store in WA or I might have another hobby! So what other brands are sold that offer the same piece of equipment in a different name? I noticed several look familiar.

Have fun with the jointer. I kind of got that "twinge" you get when you hear that someone got one that's bigger than yours! No pun.:D

Ted Miller
11-08-2006, 4:01 PM
Mike, Please let us know how it goes, I sent Tom @ Wilke a e-mail about the 12J two days ago and since I am so far from them its about a $350.00 delivery, but I am looking at their online specials the 12" jointer + 2 hp dust collector for $2099.00 plus shipping and I have been ready to get the 1 hp Mortiser from them and its $599.00. So let me know how the fit and finish and how flat the table is, Tom told me .001 -.004 was their limit. I just had a demonstration with the General 12" and for the show price I get them down to $3899.00 but that was a bit much for me since I need a few more new tools...

Ted Miller
11-08-2006, 4:05 PM
Craig, I work at a warehouse and I know how much shipping is and its killing a lot of business all over the country, I spoke with a company in WA just the other day and they have a new Oliver 10" jointer for $1895.00 and only $112.00 for shipping. So I am not sure where to turn, decisions decisions, wife says, "buy what you want", man I love her, of course I have a long list of items that need to get built right off the bat for her...