PDA

View Full Version : Best grinder to start out with

Jason Morgan
11-06-2006, 10:58 PM
Putting together my startup turning package and would like suggestions on a bench grinder for sharpening. Any old cheap grinder, or should I look for a slower speed unit. Also, just a white and grey stone? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Gilbert Vega
11-06-2006, 11:50 PM
Putting together my startup turning package and would like suggestions on a bench grinder for sharpening. Any old cheap grinder, or should I look for a slower speed unit. Also, just a white and grey stone? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

I went with the Delta variable speed 8 " grinder (GR450?) abd I think it affords the option of grinding with either the slow or fast speed.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-07-2006, 12:06 AM
Jason when I got shoved into turning.....Yes I got shoved!....I bought the Woodcraft slowspeed and a complete Wolverine sharpening jig set. I've been quite happy with it! If you watch the sales the grinder is often on sale for $89 IIRC.

Kurt Rosenzweig
11-07-2006, 8:14 AM
I have the Delta like Gilbert. It came with the right wheels out of the box. I'm sure the Woodcraft grinder is just as good. If possible you want an 8" grinder. I don't think the slow speed is necessary especially with HSS tools but it doesn't hurt. Good luck!

Frank Fusco
11-07-2006, 8:17 AM
8" slow (meaning 1750 or under). Debates abound on what grit wheel to use. Here is my take. When I started this madness, I went to a master turner in my club for advice. He earns his living turning and gets thousands for his bowls. IMHO, he is qualified. He showed me his very simple set-up. He demonstrated that 100 grit didn't do much more than polish the edge. He showed how 60 grit took too much off and frequently burned the tools with heat. But the 80 grit was 'just right'. He sharpens freehand. I bought an 80 grit blue from CS, slapped on an old 1750 grinder and do mine freehand. Can't say I'm the best. Sometimes I get strange shapes to my tools but they are sharp and I don't have blue edges.

Dennis Peacock
11-07-2006, 9:37 AM
I got the woodcraft 8" slow speed grinder. Works well and I have a Wolverine type setup (thank you Mr. Jim Ketron!!) that I call my JIMverine. I find that using a slow speed, I'm more comfortable at while sharpening.

Chris Chavis
11-07-2006, 11:30 AM
Being new to turning and having never sharpened anything before in my life take this for whatever it's worth - IMHO not much.

I picked up the woodcraft 8" slow speed grinder and the wolverine jig. Went to Oneway's sight and watched the instructional video and much to their credit I haven't had any problems getting/keeping my tools sharp.

I am sure the edges are not perfect, but the angles match what they are supposed to - they are smooth and they work for how I use them and overall I am happy. Admittedly how I use them is a little up for debate - basically turning scrap wood into smaller more rounded pieces of scrapwood.

I need to find the plans to make a vari-grind type jig so I can get a nice grind on a gouge, but othe rthan that the basic wolverine - while expensive is nice. I am sure a homemade version would work just as well.