PDA

View Full Version : Wet Northwest

Joe Pelonio
11-06-2006, 6:03 PM
We have flood warnings and some places with declared state of emergency with the 6" of rain over the last couple of days here in the Northwest. We're used to days and days (as many as 33) of rain but normally light misty stuff, this has been torential.

Anyone remember the waterfall from the opening credits of that old TV show "Northern Exposure?" it's about 15 miles from here. Here is normal on the left, and today on the right.

Dennis Peacock
11-06-2006, 6:39 PM
Looks like you've had a "little" rain there Joe.!!! :eek: :eek:

I hope you get a break from all that very quickly.

Jim DeLaney
11-06-2006, 7:49 PM
I Haven't seen Snoqualmie Falls in over thirty years!

Is the Fallsview restaurant still there? And the gazebo-style overlook?

I used to belong to the Snoqualmie gun club, whose range was about halfway between the falls and North Bend - just sorta across the road from the fish hatchery. I'll bet that all that is completely built up by now, huh?

Joe Pelonio
11-06-2006, 11:16 PM
Actually, Jim, not much different on that side of the road. (which is closed right now) The gun club is still there. Up above toward I-90 is now a huge development called Snoqualmie ridge, homes, condos, and some strip malls. I just heard they had to evacuate a convalescent hospital near there due to the flooding. The overlook is still there, and the Hotel and restaurant too.

Rick Doyle
11-06-2006, 11:50 PM
Hey Joe,

The ol' 'pineapple express' is blowin thru here pretty good too. Luckily for us, we live at the crest of pretty good hill that overlooks the bay, so flooding isn't a real concern for our home anyway. But, some of the roads are a real nightmare - lot's of rivers and creeks overflowing.

So much so in some places that salmon heading back upstream to spawn, are actually swimming along some roads!

Right now, I'm watching the Seahawks game is Seattle and the rain is really coming down there.

Take care - and stay dry!

Rick

Joe Pelonio
11-07-2006, 8:57 AM
Rained all night but lighter, just a drizzle now. They say many of the polling places today will be flooded or not accessible. Supposed to be moving further south so watch out if you are down toward Portland. Here's the airport entrance yesterday:

Roger Bell
11-07-2006, 10:01 PM
I spent my work day today examining several damaged National Forest roads and bridges and a very long section of State Highway 35 around Mt Hood that was pretty severely washed out. Made a good decision not to cross one particular road bridge over the Sandy River this morning. By early afternoon the bridge approaches were washed out and I would have been marooned big time. So intuition saved me some major inconvenience and I am now at home on "The Creek" with a martini instead of "up the creek" licking the inside of a potato chip bag. I also saw a few homes built in the floodplains that looked to be at risk if it doesn't slack off tonight or tomorrow.

Severe flooding of glacier fed rivers in a natural setting is really quite something to behold.