PDA

View Full Version : Bessy or Jorgensen F bar clamps?

Steve Dewey
11-06-2006, 11:35 AM
I've got some K bodies & have been happy with them. Also have some Jorgensen F head bar clamps which work OK. I'm looking to pick up some cheap(er) light & medium duty 6-8" clamps. Just wondering what the preference is. Pricing is w/i $1 at amazon.

Are the Bessy tradesman / Mini max versions easier to adjust than the Jorgensen clutch packs?

Kent Fitzgerald
11-06-2006, 11:46 AM
Yes, the Besseys are easier to adjust, but the Jorgensens stay where you set them, which is nice sometimes. Half a dozen of one, etc. My solution to the dilemma is simple: just wait for good sale prices.

Steve Dewey
11-06-2006, 1:34 PM
I ordered a mix based on who was cheaper - (8) Jorgensen 6" light @ $4.79 ea & (4) heavy duty @ $8.99 ea & (4) Bessey 8" light duty @ $6.89 ea. My current project, a full size "crib" for my neice will require 36 clamps at the same time to glue the slats & spacers on one side. I guess I can do a head to head comparison - :D

I could probably do it with what I've got, but I've only got so many shorter clamps, I'd rather not impale myself on a 50 incher...

Jeffrey Makiel
11-06-2006, 1:47 PM
I have a little bit of both types and prefer the clutch type from Jorgensen.
-Jeff :)

Jim Becker
11-06-2006, 4:47 PM
I only have the Bessey Tradesmans for F-clamps plus a few cheapies I got from Garrett Wade many years ago. Lately, I've been using the Bessey UniKlamp as the first choice before I pull out the F-clamps unless I need deeper jaws. I find that the wider surfaces are easier to place and less likely to mark something soft if I happen to forget a sliver of wood as a pad...the round "tails" of the F-Clamps can really press into the wood.

Steve Dewey
11-07-2006, 7:39 AM
I only have the Bessey Tradesmans for F-clamps plus a few cheapies I got from Garrett Wade many years ago. Lately, I've been using the Bessey UniKlamp as the first choice before I pull out the F-clamps unless I need deeper jaws. I find that the wider surfaces are easier to place and less likely to mark something soft if I happen to forget a sliver of wood as a pad...the round "tails" of the F-Clamps can really press into the wood.

I'll have to pick some up if/when they go on sale...

Hank Knight
11-07-2006, 10:28 AM
Uniklamps are more expensive than "F" clamps, but are far superior IMHO. I use them all the time and rarely pull out the "F" clamps unless I run out of Uniklamps.

Hank