PDA

View Full Version : I'm Looking for Laser Cutting Service

Eric Eichhorn
11-06-2006, 11:19 AM
I have a very small project where I need some shell veneer cut into some designs I had created.

I have had the image turned into a vector thanks to a post I found on here that lead me to http://home.wi.rr.com/bertrandart/vector_art.html. I had my rastor image turned into a vector for 12 bucks. What a great service!

Now I need a service that will cut some designs I have out of the shell veneer with a laser. Can anyone lead me to someone that can do this for me with for a reasonable price?

Thanks in advance,
Eric

Wil Lambert
11-06-2006, 11:26 AM
Eric,

Here is the list of people on this forum that have CNC and Lasers.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/engravers.html

If you let us know where you are maybe we can help find on locally for you.

Wil

Eric Eichhorn
11-06-2006, 12:46 PM
Thanks Will,
I live in the Auburn Hills, Michigan area (25 min North of Detroit).

Question to subscribers:
Does anyone offer this service in my area?

To further clarify what I need cut and to answer any question someone might have about the material I want cut, below are the detail of the veneer:

It is a shell veneer is .25mm thick and here the site that details it properties ==> http://www.inlayusa.com/RETAILmicralone5x9.htm

Wil Lambert
11-06-2006, 1:41 PM
If no one else is interested I am in Racine,WI. Cutting those would not be a problem.

Thanks for the link. They have a lot of cool shell colors and styles.

Wil

Dave Fifield
11-06-2006, 3:20 PM
Eric,

Although not in your area, I do a lot of laser cutting of veneers for my marquetry and have cut similar material to this stuff before. The laser actually cuts a very thin "V" in the material, so I cut it with the front side down and arrange for the focal point (the tip of the V) to be right at the face of the work. The laser speed, power and pulse rate all need to be adjusted very carefully in order to only just cut through the veneer (to preserve the size and minimize edge/face burning). I would need to "waste" a small area to do test cuts before cutting the actual shapes you need.

Is it for a guitar or other stringed instrument? Since it's just a small job, I'd be glad to help you out. Let me know.

:Dave F.

Eric Eichhorn
11-08-2006, 12:10 PM
Eric,

Although not in your area, I do a lot of laser cutting of veneers for my marquetry and have cut similar material to this stuff before. The laser actually cuts a very thin "V" in the material, so I cut it with the front side down and arrange for the focal point (the tip of the V) to be right at the face of the work. The laser speed, power and pulse rate all need to be adjusted very carefully in order to only just cut through the veneer (to preserve the size and minimize edge/face burning). I would need to "waste" a small area to do test cuts before cutting the actual shapes you need.

Is it for a guitar or other stringed instrument? Since it's just a small job, I'd be glad to help you out. Let me know.

:Dave F.

Thanks Dave,
I appreciate your feedback and offer of help. Acutally I'm not making a guitar, although the ideal to incorporate inlay designs into my project did come from my love of stringed instruments and the creative inlay design many of them have. My project is actually a poker table.

Here is a gif of my project's design:

This is just a quick and general version of the table's design. I can send you more complete design ideas that I have in mind. Then from there you can get an idea of what I'm talking about and what it will take to do the job.

So what do you think? What would be the best way for me to contact you?

Thanks again,
Eric

Dave Fifield
11-08-2006, 6:11 PM
Hi Eric,

Ah-ha, a poker table! Nice! Those inlays look eminantly do-able. I will PM you with my cellphone number and we can discuss this more.

Cheers for now,
Dave F.