PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....PIC

Dennis Peacock
11-06-2006, 9:57 AM
Good Morning Everyone,

This weekend was a good weekend and also was the annual deer Youth Hunt weekend. Now, I'm not a hunter, but Joseph (my next to the youngest son) really enjoys shooting. So I had a surprise planned for him. ;)

Friday was working at my day job and then worked on spraying more lacquer on the final legs of the computer desk.

Saturday was working at my day job (since I work Wednesday through Saturday now) and then brought 3 of the 5 desk legs into the house for curing while I touched up and sprayed the very last desk leg assembly. "Yea!!"

Sunday was church, I didn't have to play bass. Our family doctor has a farm/hunting club about 64 miles from here. He and I had been planning on taking Joseph up there the weekend of the deer season Youth Hunt and yesterday was it. After church, we ate lunch and I told Joseph to get his shoes, coat, and hat on as we were going "somewhere". He had no clue about this as it's hard enough to surprise them....but I DID this time.!! :D
Joseph has NEVER shot any weapon above a .177 cal pellet rifle. Dr. Somers borrowed a .243 from a friend of his for Joseph to use/shoot on the youth hunt. Nothing like handing your son a $1,000 gun with scope!!!!! :eek:

Any way, below is the picture of Joseph's 1st shot with a "real rifle", then he asked for hearing protectors!!! It was LOUD he said...and I agreed. The bottom pic is the target he shot at 103 Yard, 2nd time he pulled the trigger. We had a GREAT time together, got to sit in a deer stand for the 1st time (for both of us) and saw 8 deer, 2 fawns and 6 doe....Joseph couldn't shoot a deer as He said he wasn't ready to kill, clean, and process a deer. Besides that, we didn't know where to take it for processing if he did shoot one.

Oh well....it was a wonderful time spending some quality time with Joseph.

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Scott Coffelt
11-06-2006, 10:15 AM
Plenty of yard work as the weather was nice to be outside. Grouted the master bath shower, put final coats of paint on trim. Shower doors are coing Tuesday and the last of the accent tiles are suppose to be in on Wednesday, so I can finish the tub walls. I hope to wrap everything up by this weekend, only 2 weeks later than my self imposed deadline.

Kelly C. Hanna
11-06-2006, 10:26 AM
I found out my truck is a numbers matching one with all original body panels, so I put it on ebay along with a few other items on craigslist. I want a stepside when this one sells as well as a small trailer for the tools. No sense in driving a valuable truck as a work truck when someone could be restoring it.

Jim Becker
11-06-2006, 10:44 AM
Well...as predicted, I did the "running around" thing for most of Saturday as well as did some renderings of what I think the master bath in the addition will end up looking like. I also got the cherry I bought from Michael Morgan put away in the rack during a free hour in the afternoon while the girls were watching a movie. Saturday night was "family dinner out" at a really, really, REALLY wonderful Mexican eatery called Las Serapes in Chalfont PA. (Outstanding subtle flavors that most Mexican places just don't have) After dinner, we had "family movie" watching Fly Away Home.

Sunday was likewise what I anticipated...shooting USL on the natural edge walnut bench (and another piece I've been repairing) and taking down a tree next to the soon-to-be-demolished deck in support of our addition project. It was really sad taking down that beautiful flowering 25' tree, but it was too big for me to move myself and some unexpected costs relative to our septic system flow rate made getting it professionally moved financially unviable. (I will try to move the 15' Dogwood, however...) At the end of the day, I was working on installing an exterior outlet off the shop so that when the contractor starts the addition, there will be a clean 20 amp circuit available. I just have to terminate to the GFCI on the outside...it got too dark to complete that last night.

Tom Henry
11-06-2006, 10:45 AM
Finally got some time to plane down some of the oak I picked of from Mike Morgan.. See Here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=45420)...

John Renzetti
11-06-2006, 11:07 AM
Hi Dennis, Looks like you had a great weekend with your son. In between soccer games on Saturday I got some shop stuff done plus some outside work. Sunday I helped my older son with some bowl turning.
take care,
John

Al Willits
11-06-2006, 12:29 PM
I am now the proud owner of 250bf of 5/4 s2s white oak and one hard maple board...Oak is for the kitchen and sideboard project, the Maple is for a coat rack I wanted to make.

Had a great time with Tyler, Dave and his wife and son, and my little buttercup, going to Iowa to pick up all that wood, talk about a kid in a candy store... :)
Got to the lumber yard and Beasty had all she could do to keep me from loading the truck up with assorted lumber, soooo much nice lumber......:D

Beasty did get a reaction when she said she didn't care for QS Oak, kinda like saying ya don't like corn in Iowa...:)

Got back Sat afternoon and it was nap time, then went out to eat.

Sunday I made a rack to set all the lumber on, stacked it all and played with finish's for a bit, still looks like Danish natural and poly for the oak.
Did some more cleaning, and hopefully by next week I'll start on the sideboard buffet....finally.

Had a great weekend with some nice people, hope to do it again soon.

Al

Ken Fitzgerald
11-06-2006, 1:14 PM
Any way, below is the picture of Joseph's 1st shot with a "real rifle", then he asked for hearing protectors!!! It was LOUD he said...and I agreed. The bottom pic is the target he shot at 103 Yard, 2nd time he pulled the trigger. We had a GREAT time together, got to sit in a deer stand for the 1st time (for both of us) and saw 8 deer, 2 fawns and 6 doe....Joseph couldn't shoot a deer as He said he wasn't ready to kill, clean, and process a deer. Besides that, we didn't know where to take it for processing if he did shoot one.

Oh well....it was a wonderful time spending some quality time with Joseph.

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Dennis..........Tell Joseph he performed well with a rifle to which he was a stranger! 2ndly.........The fun is in the hunt not the killing. I've hunted since age 9. The last 14 years of elk hunting, I hunted and passed up shots as the animal wasn't what I wanted. Besides, I was having fun hunting. I enjoyed packing out other people's elk on mules....I enjoyed the hunting camp in the snow ........I enjoyed the scenery.........I enjoyed the companionship of my hunting buddies......I enjoyed the hunt......If the right bull had come along....I'd taken that shot. Sounds like the two of you had a good hunt!

This weekend I turned my first pens and bought a new drill press and survived two vertigo attacks. Life is indeed good!

Mike Heidrick
11-06-2006, 1:35 PM
Dennis that gun looks a lot like a Savage 110! Looks to be an awesome gun. I have not shot the .243 yet but it looks to be an outstanding load. Your boy was lucky to get the chance to shoot that. Get him his own set of eyes and ears. Even with the pellet gun he needs some eye protection. A set of his own will encourage him to wear them. Just an idea. Thanks for the pictures.

Chip Olson
11-06-2006, 1:43 PM
Got a bunch done on the cabinet doors. Took Friday off for my birthday (which was actually Saturday) and spent most of it in the shop. Cutting the plywood for the doors was an exercise in frustration that involved a cut plan that would have resulted in some of the doors having sideways grain, a panel sled that needed new runners, misreading the corrected cut plan and starting to cut up the wrong sheet, etc. etc. Had to go buy another half sheet and ended up with a ton of wastage. Sure am glad I didn't decide to blow $300 on the flat-sawn curly maple ply.

Over the rest of the weekend I got the tenons cut on the rails and started rabbeting the panels. The maple ply and the cherry look gorgeous together. My brother-in-law now has a nice big bag of cherry scraps for his smoker.

Tyler Howell
11-06-2006, 1:51 PM
Hey Folks,
Not a very productive one even with three days:o.
Got some paint on the walls but mostly on me and the floor:o. Did have a great time with Lori Al and Dave.
There wore me out. I was draggin the rest of Sat and Sun.
Went to a little house party and concert last night. Some of you right coast, sailing, folkies know of Gordon Bok. He joined us for some good conversation and provided the music at a great venue.
Play safe have a good week.

Larry Fox
11-06-2006, 1:55 PM
Spraying, spraying and more spraying of face frames and various panels for my kitchen project. Actually, more time spent setting up an enviroment where I can control the temperature than actual spraying. I fell behind schedule a bit in my project and am now in the position I did not want to be in of having the cold weather be a factor. :( Oh well - we deal with it.

Mark Pruitt
11-06-2006, 2:04 PM
One bowl Saturday
One bowl Sunday

....little by little the Christmas gifts are accumulating.:)

Jay Kilpatrick
11-06-2006, 2:05 PM
I have been building a storage shed in my spare time for a few weeks now, and finally got started on the first coat of paint (over primer, of course). The hour a had yielded about a third of the "cutting in". I used T-111 for panelling. It looks nice, but cutting in all the grooves is a pain, and I just can't justify a spray system for the amount of spraying I do in any given year. Luckily the temps down here in Texas allow outdoor painting this late in the season.

Saturday was my son's last soccer game for this season, so that's now out of the picture until spring (LOML hasn't told me what's going to fill the void, but I'm sure there's something there!) We went on a small shopping spree afterwards to get a new stroller (jump seat type, we're expecting number 3 in short order and we need a double occupancy stroller for the new one and my daughter). With side trips and stores, we finally got home at 2:30 p.m. and after putting away groceries and doing my ever increasing workload around the house (women who are 9 months pregnant seem to need lots of help keeping up with the house, meals, and kids... or so it seems to me). Got started painting again about 3:30 which gave me about 20 minutes before being joined by the kids. I can say from personal experience that painting while carrying a 23 month old and fixing drips from the almost 6 six year old is a constant challenge and not for the faint of heart. Allie (23 mth old) really wants to paint... I just don't want to do the clean up. LOML thought it would be great to have her help. So I dutifully said sure (this was during priming last weekend)... and we're still trying to get some of it out of her (Allie's) hair:rolleyes: ! Luckily kids get bored with none artsy painting pretty quick, so I got to paint on my own after about 20 more minutes while occassionally refereeing the small disputes happening between the kids on the playset.
Later on I ditched doing homework (completing some professional course-work) and watched "Feast", a new-old style horror flick. It was good, but probably won't become a cult classic anytime soon. Spent the rest of the evening tackling a particularly nasty virus/adware/malware problem on the desktop... it has totalling blocked internet access from that machine. It's still winning the fight as I refuse to reformat the harddrive. I have to study up a little more as I don't want to mess with the registry at this time or buy one of those gizmos that allow you to take the drive out and plug it into another machine as a USB storage device. So the battle continues.

Sunday was hectic as we got up late and had to get wifey and my son out the door to make his religous education class on time. Wifey got upset because I failed to do things she normally does (hey! didn't know that I was supposed to do that!) Funny thing is I here her talking one of her sister's later on, who's husband also has a hard time being 'trained', saying how she had thought about it and decided that I wasn't in the wrong and she shouldn't have blown up at me! I just attribute it to the pregnancy... I know I won't get an apology...

Sunday afternoon I got to paint for another half hour which brings me to about 75% complete. Now I just have to finish the paint, build a door, paint trim, build soffit boxes for the gables... HA! I'll be done by next year! Finished the day by taking dinner to some friends who have a newborn (and 5 other kids ranging from 2 - 15 years), and I thought I was busy!

Anyone else living by "spirit of the squirrel" philospy? Hope you had a great and productive weekend

Larry Fox
11-06-2006, 2:07 PM
My brother-in-law now has a nice big bag of cherry scraps for his smoker.

Chip - have always wondered about using the cherry we use for ww'in projects in the smoker. Has your BIL used it before or will this be the first time? I do a bit of the Q'ing myself and have always bought cherry chunks as they come from the actual fruit-bearing tree. If I can use the stuff we use in the shop then I will be in business for a while.

Take care . . .

Larry

Rod Torgeson
11-06-2006, 3:34 PM
Spent Friday, Saturday and Sunday morning in the shop working with a friend of mine that came up from California making a replica of a old house. I picked her up at the airport in Portland, OR on Thursday afternoon and then went to a wood working store(woodcrafters) and did a little shopping. Then on Friday morning we started the house replica(1/12 scale). This house replica at one time was a speak easy in the Redding California area and was purchased and turned into a home. It will be given to the daughter who was raised there. She is 80 years old and her husband is 90. The party will be on the 18th of this month. Still have a bit of work to do. I am working on the siding(vertical, like board and batten) now. Attached are some pictures of the progress. Anyway, it was a fun project.

Rod<---in Appleton, WA

Kelly C. Hanna
11-06-2006, 3:42 PM
Cool...will you post pics along the way on this one? I need to make one for my house.

Matt Meiser
11-06-2006, 8:23 PM
Saturday Creeker Jim Biddle came over and helped me make some ductwork changes for my newly rearranged shop. I also finished up some forks I was making for the loader on my tractor, then used them to move some stuff from the front of the shop to the back for storage. Once that was done I completed rewiring the power drop for my table saw and rearranged my wood storage to get everything on the wood rack or in a storage bin since I've used a fair amount of stuff since the last time I organized it.

Sunday we ran some errands (including picking up the furnished doll house that my 4yo daughter won in a raffle on Saturday) and spent some time at my parents.

Steve Roxberg
11-06-2006, 10:45 PM
How is this for an accomplishment.

I sat in a lawn chair, heard a gun shot, watched my middle daughter run by, and then 14 minutes and 58 seconds later after running 4K over hill and dale returning to win her third consecutive KS State 6A Cross Country championship! :)

I guess to be correct, I actually accomplished this about sixteen years ago, but it was a fun weekend. :D

Tom Fortier
11-08-2006, 9:51 AM
Friday I purchased a Ridgid 13" Planer for $180 (used) and then stopped by Lowes and picked up a 694VK for $99. Was a good tool weekend.
I didn't do much in the shop, but did get my breezeway painted and prepared to tile the floor this weekend.

Zahid Naqvi
11-08-2006, 10:56 AM
After church, we ate lunch and I told Joseph to get his shoes, coat, and hat on as we were going "somewhere". He had no clue about this as it's hard enough to surprise them....but I DID this time.!! :D
Joseph has NEVER shot any weapon above a .177 cal pellet rifle. Dr. Somers borrowed a .243 from a friend of his for Joseph to use/shoot on the youth hunt. Nothing like handing your son a $1,000 gun with scope!!!!! :eek:

Of all the people, I can hook you up with someone who processes game animals. Let me know if you ever kill anything.
My weekend was spent painting a bathroom, no WW'ing :(

Tyler Howell
11-08-2006, 2:25 PM
Chip - have always wondered about using the cherry we use for ww'in projects in the smoker. Has your BIL used it before or will this be the first time? I do a bit of the Q'ing myself and have always bought cherry chunks as they come from the actual fruit-bearing tree. If I can use the stuff we use in the shop then I will be in business for a while.

Take care . . .

Larry
Larry,
I use any and all fruit/nut wood for my "Q". dried stuff doesn't work as well as fresh but I soak it all in water for a good slow smoking.:D