PDA

View Full Version : locust-difficult to turn?

Mark Pruitt
11-06-2006, 9:31 AM
My boss just told me he has some locust that looks like it would produce something nice. He likes to use it in his fireplace:eek: :eek: :eek: because it burns slowly and lasts long. If I'm nice, he might let go of a little of it. Seems like I've heard a few of you say that it was a challenge to turn. Is it worth the trouble?

Ben Rafael
11-06-2006, 9:55 AM
I just finished turning some locust yesterday. It turned fine once I trued it, it was a bit choppy until then. I'll post pics once I figure out how.

Cecil Arnold
11-06-2006, 11:08 AM
Very hard wood. Any tear out will take a long time to sand out. Don't drop the piece as it will surely crack because of the hardness. Makes really beautiful bowls and boxes, worth the extra effort.

Bernie Weishapl
11-06-2006, 11:26 AM
I have turned quite a bit of locust. Black Locust when dry is like turning concrete and you had better have your tools sharp. Same with Honey Locust when dry. But that being said I sure does make some pretty bowls and boxes.

Jim Becker
11-06-2006, 11:35 AM
Turn it green...same as you would for things like Osage Orange. Locust is the "hard" in the term "hard wood"...which is over and above the mere garden variety term, hardwood.... ;)

Bill Grumbine
11-06-2006, 12:09 PM
Hi Mark

Black locust or honey locust? Both are hard, with black being the harder of the two in my experience. Like Jim says, it helps to turn it green. In fact, that is exactly what blank locust looks like - green, with black streaks running through it. Honey locust is the color of honey. That green will fade to a pleasant greenish brown as it ages, and a better color than freshly cut I think. I turn it once it a while if I have a burl, or something like this piece below.

Sharp tools are essential.

Bill