PDA

View Full Version : New Scanner Needed

Keith Bragg
11-06-2006, 8:58 AM
Hello Folks

My scanner has finaly died on me and I am in the market for a new one does any one have any suggestions or prefrences as to what I should be looking for. I had a HP it worked all right I was just wondering if I may be missing something with the newer stuff or are they all pretty much the same. As always thanks in advance for any help, And to all you folks that make this site so great to be part of.

Keith Bragg

Joe Pelonio
11-06-2006, 12:36 PM
The last one I bought was $49, Canon USB, gets the power also from USB so no need to plug into an outlet. Up to 1200x2400 and no problems in 3 years.

Rick Doyle
11-06-2006, 1:10 PM
Hi Keith,

Although I don't own an Epson 3490 scanner - I've heard nothing but good things about it. It gets extremely good reviews in tech journals when compared to other inexpensive scanners - even ones that cost a lot more. It has a 3600-dpi maximum resolution and 48-bit color depth which is great for anything you want to scan at home.

This scanner usually sells for around $100.

Rick

Keith Outten
11-06-2006, 4:20 PM
Contact Roy Brewer and company at Engraving Concepts. Not too long ago they received a shipment of HP ScanJets that had the older scanning software that do a great job scanning directly to vector. These are hard to find and sought after by Engravers and graphic artists. Roy and his daughter Lynette are both Members here at SMC.

http://www.engravingconcepts.com/

Jason Lippert
11-06-2006, 6:01 PM
Well the last scanner I bought for myself was a Canon, Small, USB powered, good software. I use an HP at the shop. Decent, butsofftware is a little heavy handed on the auto correction business. I usually scan direct into PhotoShop with no correction, I trust my eyes more than the software. Also, don't put too much stock in the resolution of the scanner, the only number that matters is the Optical resolution, which is in any scanner under several hundred dollars almost always 600x600 or less. Anything higher than that is software interpolation, which is software guessing. Hope that helps a little

Michael Cody
11-06-2006, 6:13 PM
Got a CanoScan 8400F. good reviews, seems to work very well. Price is around 100$ or so and does 35mm slides with a little addon holder they include. Software is good, works nice w/Ulead PhotoImpact also.

Ed Maloney
11-06-2006, 6:30 PM
I looked around the site and couldn't find where the scanners are. Could Roy point me to the right link?

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Dave Jones
11-06-2006, 6:52 PM
I thiink they had a limited number, so you may need to call or email them.

Bruce Volden
11-06-2006, 6:58 PM
Funny isn't it???...my first scanner cost me just under $700!!! and was 1/4th the scanner you can get today for under $100:mad: At this rate I'll soon be able to "WILL" things to work~~~or not;)

Bruce

Frank Corker
11-06-2006, 8:41 PM
I went for the Epson Perfection 4490 PHOTO - works a real treat, a bit more than the bog standard stuff, it too does the film strips for negatives ( and extremely well ) I had a few niggles when I first installed it but I now use it with 'VueScan' and it positively flies along. Quality is stunning and well worth the money.

Mike Shauer
11-07-2006, 1:36 AM
Its not the scanner as much as it is the program that drives it. HP Precision scan is the software that will scan to vector. As I understand it, they discontinued this stuff a few years ago.

Mr Brewer has a list on his web site somewhere of the # that have this software. Perhaps an e-mail to them will get the correct #. If they have no more E-bay works.

I bought 2 a year ago with this software and both work great. Cheers, Mike

Jeanette Brewer
11-07-2006, 12:35 PM
I looked around the site and couldn't find where the scanners are. Could Roy point me to the right link?

Our inventory changes constantly as we "scour the country" in search of these re-furbed scanners. Info on the scanners we're picking up can be found here: http://www.engravingconcepts.com/Newsletters/ECT%20Vol%201%20No%201.pdf

As of today, we have some 6200 scanners. We're expecting 5300 & 5400 scanners shortly.

In the meantime, if you want to do your own "scouring", here's the list:

All the scanners below have the PrecisionScan or PrecisionScan Pro (auto raster-->vector conversion) software. These are listed in "easiest-to-find" order. Any of the following part numbers may have a 70 replacing the 00 (the 70 means the scanner has the slide/negative adapter which you'll probably not use but the 70s seem to be more available).
7400, 4400, 5400, 5300, 5200, 6200, 6300, 6400, 5100 2200, 4300 (unless you go to a lot of trouble, 4300s work with Corel 8 and down ONLY).

Keith Outten
11-07-2006, 1:24 PM
Mike is right, its the Precision Scan software that makes these scanners a must have for engravers. Scanning to vector is a nice feature and it is sad that HP stopped offering it with their new scaners :(

Mike Null
11-07-2006, 1:37 PM
If I'm not mistaken some of those scanners require a
SCSI connection which is not a good trade off if you already have Corel X3 for your trace program. SCSI cables and cards are expensive and hard to find.

Keith Bragg
11-07-2006, 1:51 PM
So many to chosse from I will doing some homework I thank all who have responed to my call as always the people at sawmill creek are there to help, I hope I can help someone out here one of these days.

Thanks again Keith

Gary Hair
11-25-2006, 7:24 PM
I went for the Epson Perfection 4490 PHOTO - works a real treat, a bit more than the bog standard stuff, it too does the film strips for negatives ( and extremely well ) I had a few niggles when I first installed it but I now use it with 'VueScan' and it positively flies along. Quality is stunning and well worth the money.

I just bought one of these a couple of days ago myself. I really like the "scan to pdf". I have acrobat pro so I can simply print to pdf, but I like being able to scan without taking an extra step. It also has scan to printer and scan to email buttons on the front along with the scan to pdf.

Best Buy had them on sale for 179.00 - not a bad price.

Curt Harms
12-03-2006, 11:13 AM
This sort of looks like precision scan is available for $8 shipping. Better late than never?:o
https://www.freedomscientific.com/fs_support/BulletinView.cfm?QC=113

Dave Fifield
12-03-2006, 11:10 PM
I'm very happy with the HP6270A scanner and Precision Scan s/w that I got recently from Engraving Concepts. It all works well and will speed up (some) of my marquetry artwork generation immensely!

:Dave F.

Kim Vellore
12-04-2006, 12:56 AM
This sort of looks like precision scan is available for $8 shipping. Better late than never?:o
https://www.freedomscientific.com/fs_support/BulletinView.cfm?QC=113
I beleive it is the same software that can be downloaded for free, if one does not want it in a CD.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=59553&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us

Please ignore this, I did not read the details completly on the previous link it says the same thing.
Kim