PDA

View Full Version : New dummy!!!!!!!

Chuck Hanger
11-06-2006, 8:43 AM
OK, if I wanted to get into some turning (think Frank suggestion of the Grizzly lathe is best) what else do I need to turn (not pens). Wife really likes the confetti lambs and bowls and platters. I figure that all of the things that are needed will cost about 3 more lathes in price. Right?
Thanks in advance,
Chuck

Corey Hallagan
11-06-2006, 8:46 AM
Well that is a pretty good guesstimate but you don't need it all at one time. The new Grizzly with the 2HP and VS is a real bargain at the 400.00 or less price. Of course you will need a good chuck and turning tools and everybody will have their opinions on that. Best to state what you want to do first and buy tools accordinaly.

Corey

Mark Pruitt
11-06-2006, 9:15 AM
If you're looking at the lathe I think you're looking at, there are two things to take note of, that would detract me from it but might not be an issue to you. One is that the minimum speed is 600. That is way, way too high IMO. Ideally a true VS lathe should drop to zero, but 50 is tolerable. The other concern is that to use the lathe for outboard turning, you must extend the banjo out, which decreases its rigidity at a time when rigidity is most critical. Grizzly sells some excellent equipment and I've had four machines from them which all performed well, but every lathe they produce seems to have at least one characteristic that rules it out for me. Again, this might not be an issue for you, but it's better that you consider it now than later.

Chuck Hanger
11-06-2006, 10:43 AM
Hi Mark,
Would you mind expanding on the problems that you might have had with the various Grizs that you have had?
Would really appreaciate as have never never really owned a lathe. Don't think that I really want a mini as I might want to get into other things. Selling a used lathe cheap and buying high is kinda like the other half does things:) .
Thanks,
Chuck

Frank Fusco
11-06-2006, 10:52 AM
Chuck, keep in mind that a $350.00 or $400.00 lathe is not a $4000.00 or $5000.00 lathe. But these Griz'es are far and away the best dollar value around. And, at their price, they are about 85% the lathe that the high priced variety is.
Big, heavy rough chunks on outboard could be dodgy, no doubt. I haven't used mine for big stuff on outboard yet. But, I plan to have a free-standing rest welded up before I do.
Some turners think only "big bowls" when talking turning. There's lots more and not just pens.

Dennis Peacock
11-06-2006, 10:53 AM
To me? If a lathe is advertised as a VS lathe and the minimum speed is 600? That's not a VS lathe in the true sense of the word. To me, that says it's a Reeves Drive setup and you will be taking it apart of working on it from time to time. I know......I had a Jet at one time.

Mark is right.....600 rpm is too fast for the slowest speed. Take a look at the Jets VS Mini or something along the lines within your budget and decide from there. There are times where you want a speed that's under 100 RPM. DAMHIKT!!!!!

Ken Fitzgerald
11-06-2006, 11:07 AM
Chuck,

I'm new to turning. The inmates here gifted me with a Jet VS Mini last January and my life has been altered!:D I'm as addicted to turning as one can be...........I'm broke always.....never was before..........I'm always plotting my next project and purchases of tools and wood supply.

I've turned bowls, Natural Edged bowls, salt and pepper shakers, pepper grinders and most recently pens.

The Jet Mini will only turn 9 1/2" diameter. The minimun speed is 500 rpm. Even with a 9 1/2" diameter, when I first chuck up a off balanced piece, 500 rpm is WAY too fast!

Bernie Weishapl
11-06-2006, 11:20 AM
I guess I don't understand what the difference is between the Griz 600 rpm and the Jet VS mini 500 rpm. I figured unless you get a DVR XP and up you won't have a true 0 rpm to whatever. You might take a look at the Rikon. It's low speed is around 430 rpm. It will turn 12" bowls, pens, etc.

Jim Becker
11-06-2006, 11:42 AM
Bernie, the Jet mini's swing is a lot smaller than the bigger Grizzly machine. While the 500 rpm still isn't ideal, the restriction in physical size you can turn at least mitigates it a bit.

Mark Pruitt
11-06-2006, 12:01 PM
Hi Mark,
Would you mind expanding on the problems that you might have had with the various Grizs that you have had?
Would really appreaciate as have never never really owned a lathe. Don't think that I really want a mini as I might want to get into other things. Selling a used lathe cheap and buying high is kinda like the other half does things:) .
Thanks,
Chuck
Chuck, I've never owned a Griz lathe. The speed range has always been the issue there. The Grizzlys I have owned have been a drill press, a TS, and two jointers, all of which have performed well. No issues with Grizzly as to quality or service--they're a good company to buy from and I'll buy more of their stuff in the future--but not their lathes, unless some changes are made like decreasing the bottom speed, going to a true VS, and one or two other improvements.

As Frank alluded to, there are significant price ranges. In my thinking, there are two types of lathes that are worth having. One is a mini, like a Jet or Rikon (the Rikon has a 12" swing--a very respectable lathe); the other is a BIG lathe like a PM 3520.

Chuck Hanger
11-06-2006, 3:40 PM
Thanks to all that have responded. I guess that what I need to know is what I should be looking for in a price range that I can afford. Can't really afford a bare machine that costs $1000 and then have to add all of the other goodies that I know nothing about without your help. Just don't want to start with something that I will want rid of in 6 months. That does not seem like good economics to me. But maybe I can't afford to get into this right now either. Sure hope that I can as it really looks challanging to me.
Thanks again to all that responded.
Chuck

Travis Stinson
11-06-2006, 3:52 PM
Chuck, I would go with one of the mini lathes. If I were in the market for one myself, I would be leaning toward the new General VS. It looks to have some very nice features.
http://www.general.ca/pagemach/machines/25200a.html

Chuck Hanger
11-06-2006, 4:06 PM
Travis,
I have watched your wonderful work regularly. Fabulous is the best that I can say. What tools and chucks, etc that I would need to be able to do just some decent things?
Thanks,
Chuck

Dario Octaviano
11-06-2006, 4:07 PM
Chuck,

$1,000 budget sure will work...FYI, I started with $700.00 (though I initially thought it will only cost $300.00 :D). I was savvy hunting for bargains and it really paid off. With that $700.00 I got a Jet 1236, an 8pc HSS set from HF, a Oneway Talon chuck and a couple Crown ProPM bowl gouge.

To tell you the truth, all the tools that I initially bought are still my primary tools today. The lathe was sold just because I upgraded. I now have a Jet mini VS and a PM 3520B.

I have nothing against the HF lathe and seems like a good buy for starters. Granted that I suspect the HP rating is overrated...it is still a good value lathe for the price even it it is only 1.5HP or so. I will probably buy that too if I am just starting now and with your budget.

Another option is go with a Jet mini VS...you will be very happy with it that if and when you upgrade, you will most likely keep it as a backup lathe.

Good luck with your decision/purchase!!!

Travis Stinson
11-06-2006, 4:23 PM
I'll echo everything Dario just posted. I started with the Ridgid:o tube lathe, then the Jet 1236 and finally the PM3520, all within a couple years. I purchased the Jet VS mini this Summer just to have something portable. I would have saved money by going with the mini to start with. Like Dario said, it's a very nice lathe that you won't likely sell..........."when" you upgrade.;)
A nice chuck for the minis is the new Nova G3. It's scaled down in size a bit specifically for the mini lathes. Whatever you decide, buy quality. You'll be much happier in the end.

Chuck Hanger
11-06-2006, 4:29 PM
Can't tell you all how much I appreciate taking the time to pound a little education into my dense head.:)
Thanks a million,
Chuck

Bob Noles
11-06-2006, 4:42 PM
Chuck,

Get yourself a good mini/midi or other lathe, the G3 chuck, and the biggest skew chisel you can find, that is all you need.

You can turn anything your imagination can congure up with just those 3 items. Alan Lacer will back me up on this as well :D :D :D

Now that comes to around $600 give or take. Look at all the money I just saved you :p

Seriously, consider a good mini and a cheap set of HF tools to get started out. You can add as your experience allows and your needs grow. The mini will always be worth close to what you paid for it whether to yourself as a 2nd lathe or to someone else as a resale. Look hard at the G3 chuck and a good grinder to sharpen with. These are pretty much the basics, all else is luxury and fun stuff.

Jim Ketron
11-06-2006, 7:21 PM
Some very good advice has been given!
I started out 3 years ago with the Jet Mini and a cheap set of turning tools. soon after I purchased a few new chisels and a Oneway Talon chuck. Over the last 3 years I have upgraded to a PM 3520a lathe. And a lot of accessories that gets lots of use, and a bunch of homemade tools. I still have the Jet Mini and love to use it when I can.
My best advise I can give you is to try to buy tools only once, even if you have to wait a little longer to save up for the top quality ones! IMO you are far better off buying tools once than buying them 2 or 3 times to get the quality and lasting tools. I always say "a craftsman is only as good as his tools are"!
Buy them as you need them and try not overload yourself all at once! Turning can be a very expensive hobby, but most rewarding Have fun choosing your tools and get busy turning:D

Jim Underwood
11-06-2006, 7:46 PM
Another vote for the Jet mini. I bought the Jet Mini last October, and can't imagine how I lived without it.:)

I started turning on one of the tinfoil HF jobs where the centers bowed up when you cranked on the tailstock. Was relieved to get rid of it.:o

Last Grizzly I looked at was at the IWF in Atlanta this August. Pushed the tailstock up to the headstock, noticed the centers were about 1/4 off, and walked away. You'd think they'd at least take the time to make sure a display model lined up.:confused:

Frank Fusco
11-07-2006, 8:18 AM
Another vote for the Jet mini. I bought the Jet Mini last October, and can't imagine how I lived without it.:)

I started turning on one of the tinfoil HF jobs where the centers bowed up when you cranked on the tailstock. Was relieved to get rid of it.:o

Last Grizzly I looked at was at the IWF in Atlanta this August. Pushed the tailstock up to the headstock, noticed the centers were about 1/4 off, and walked away. You'd think they'd at least take the time to make sure a display model lined up.:confused:

That's a shame. Mine lines up perfectly.

Chuck Hanger
11-07-2006, 9:59 AM
I would have to agree that the Griz not lining up by 1/2" would have to be a fluke of some kind and have to agree with you Frank that price sure is tempting. I know that 9 out of 10 suggestions have been for the Jet mini which I can buy local without shipping. Frank if I send you the purchase price (since you live so close) would you mind making a weekend trip to Ohio:) . Will furnish dinner and all.:D Still tempting though.
Thanks again,
Chuck

Mark Pruitt
11-07-2006, 10:19 AM
I purchased the Jet VS mini this Summer just to have something portable. I would have saved money by going with the mini to start with. Like Dario said, it's a very nice lathe that you won't likely sell..........."when" you upgrade.;)

Chuck,
With what I've learned at this point, I'd pay close attention to what Travis is saying here. A mini lathe--or a "Maxi-lathe" is the name General gives theirs--is something that you will outgrow in terms of its swing and spindle length capacity, but its portability will likely always be of such benefit that you'll hang on to it even when you go Big. Frankly, everything I've done I could have done with the Rikon Mini I now own, and when I buy my PM 3520B next year:D I'll have many reasons to keep my Rikon as well. The point is, go with a mini; that way you spend little for the lathe itself, you're started in woodturning, and you have a few hundred to put down for tools/accessories and a few hundred more to stash for the Big purchase later on.;)

My two cents.

Chris Chavis
11-07-2006, 1:02 PM
Chuck,
With what I've learned at this point, I'd pay close attention to what Travis is saying here. A mini lathe--or a "Maxi-lathe" is the name General gives theirs--is something that you will outgrow in terms of its swing and spindle length capacity, but its portability will likely always be of such benefit that you'll hang on to it even when you go Big. Frankly, everything I've done I could have done with the Rikon Mini I now own, and when I buy my PM 3520B next year:D I'll have many reasons to keep my Rikon as well. The point is, go with a mini; that way you spend little for the lathe itself, you're started in woodturning, and you have a few hundred to put down for tools/accessories and a few hundred more to stash for the Big purchase later on.;)

My two cents.

And a comment from the peanut gallery - as someone who just went through this. I didn't ask on the forum, but it was going through my head as I was reading them. I was dead set on getting the PM3520 and almost got one. Then reading the forum I ended up getting the Rikon mini with tooling, this and that, finishes, abrasives, sharpening, jigs, chuck, pen supplies, etc. I ended up spending probably more than half the cost of a PM but got quite a bit more ability than if I had just purchased the lathe and no accessories. Someday I will probably end up with a Oneway or a Stubby, but until then I am happy as a clam.

The lathe was the cheap part of the purchase - everything else is where there be dragons.