PDA

View Full Version : Rigid Cordless Kits

Paul Dell'Anno
10-26-2003, 10:07 PM
I need to replace my cordless drill. Both battery packs will not hold a charge and when I priced them, the replacement cost for two would be equal to the cost of the original combo kit. I noticed that Rigid is offering a lifetime warrenty if purchase is made by the end of the year. I am leaning towards this product, but am wondering if anyone has any experience with them? Thanks for any input.

Wes Bischel
10-26-2003, 10:24 PM
Paul,
before you buy, check a local battery place. Usually they can "rebuild" your battery packs. This is much cheaper than buying new batteries from the manufacturer. A contractor I know practically keeps one near me in business by himself!
Now this is said assuming you want to keep your old set. If you are looking to upgrade - please disreguard the previous paragraph. ;)

Wes

PS Usually found in the yellow pages under batteries.

David Siniard
10-26-2003, 10:42 PM
I hope this will help in your decision about the drills I just picked up two of these drills in the 14.4 volt both are 1/2 inch drive very heavy drills I ask the salesman at HD why they were so heavy . He told me that he had just returned from a seimnar on rigid tools here in Greenville and the rigid guy told them that all the gears in all the power tools are made of cnc cast iron and that they are made in Germany. assembled in China also the life time warranty covers the batteries so as long as you own the tool and have the origianl receipt or a photo copy they will replace the batteries as long as you own the tool. Cool Deal if you ask me also the chargers have a fan on them that blow air thru the batteries while they are charging to cool them down to alow for shorter charging times of 30 mins. Hope this helps sorry so long.

Dave Arbuckle
10-26-2003, 10:47 PM
I have one, a 1/2" 14.4 volt X2.

David commented on the weight, this is something to think about. In my case it isn't such a huge deal because it's my 1/2", I have other 3/8" that are lighter. This thing is awfully heavy for regular use. I don't know if the 3/8" are better, didn't check them.

Since the machine has no track record, hard to say how it will last. The introductory warranty is good enough to get me to give it a chance.

Dave

Tony Falotico
10-27-2003, 6:22 AM
As Wess said having the batteries rebuilt is an option, if the drill is still good. Check out http://www.primecell.com/ for prices. I have used them and been very satisfied with their product and service. They use a better (Stronger) battery cell then the original.

Use the $$ you save on a new tool.

No affiliation with Primecell, just a satisfied customer.

Richard Allen
10-27-2003, 9:29 AM
TechTronic Industries is the manufacture of Ryobi power tools, Ryobi and Homelite outdoor power equipment and Dirt Devil and Vax floor care appliances. Oh yea, they also make Sears power hand tools. And now they are making the ridgid line of hand held power tool.

TechTronic Industries is based in communist china with headquarters in Hong Kong and manufacturing plants in communist china. They are an international company with offices in South Carolina, Ohio, France, Germany, England, Taiwan, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.

Good luck with your new drill

Dave Arbuckle
10-27-2003, 1:23 PM
Richard, you left out Metabo in the list of companies that TTI makes equipment for. Maybe more, but that's the one I noticed.

Dave

Dave Hammelef
10-27-2003, 2:31 PM
....TechTronic Industries is based in communist china with headquarters in Hong Kong and manufacturing plants in communist china. They are an international company with offices in South Carolina, Ohio, France, Germany, England, Taiwan, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.

Good luck with your new drill

Never did well in politics / economics or geography.

Is there more than one China? What is there political make up and where are they located? (You know a Non-communist China, as apposed to the communist one)

Dave
In Politically Correct United States of America

Wes Bischel
10-27-2003, 2:36 PM
Well Dave, I guess it's all communist - that is unless you're in Taiwan or Hong Kong - their opinions might differ! :confused:

Wes

Richard Allen
10-27-2003, 3:33 PM
Hi Dave

I guess my age is showing. I have always thought of Taiwan as being noncommunist China. E-Gads that goes back to before Nixon! Yes Dave. China is communist. I apologize for being redundant in expressing where these items, that Home Depot is selling to the North American market, are manufactured.

Hong Kong was noncommunist but is now a part of China.

Thanks

Charles McKinley
10-27-2003, 8:21 PM
I noticed some of the dewalt drills are being made in China now as well.

David Siniard
10-27-2003, 10:04 PM
So I guess everyone who has bought an Item made in CHINA should throw them away and do what? Buy an over priced , over rated item made where? Germany, USA , Italy , France... you can't look at it from that point of veiw..

Jason Roehl
10-28-2003, 7:20 AM
Never did well in politics / economics or geography.

Is there more than one China? What is there political make up and where are they located? (You know a Non-communist China, as apposed to the communist one)

Dave
In Politically Correct United States of America

Taiwan = Republic of China (democracy, mostly), formerly known as Formosa, a small island about the size of Lake Michigan
China = People's Republic of China (communist)