PDA

View Full Version : Jointer/Planer for Byrd Shelix Head

Charles Grosjean
11-06-2006, 12:50 AM
Has anyone installed a Byrd Shelix head on a euro style Jointer/Planer (besides Dan Larson on his Rojek)? As a wide (or even narrow) belt sander is not in my future, I'd like to have a jointer AND planer with the Shelix (or similar), but would rather not buy two heads.

Looking at Shelix models, I have a choice of MiniMax, Rojek, Robland, Knapp, Laguna, and Griggio. I'm pretty sure the Griggio and Knapp (if even available right now) are out of my price range. I'd hate to pay the premium (out of the remaining group) for a MiniMax and toss a Tersa head so that leaves the R's. I'd consider Hammer if Byrd "stocked" a head, but it doesn't appear so.

Any happy owners out there of one of these combos?

Cliff Rohrabacher
11-06-2006, 10:54 AM
Has anyone installed a Byrd Shelix head on a euro style Jointer/Planer

There are plenty of Felder owners who have true helicals on theirt machines and like 'em just fine.
I'm running straight blades and like 'em just fine. Don't know what might encourage meto pay the $600.00 or so to get a Bird.

Charles Grosjean
11-06-2006, 12:05 PM
There are plenty of Felder owners who have true helicals on theirt machines and like 'em just fine.
I'm running straight blades and like 'em just fine.

According to my local Felder sales guy, someone has finally taken the plunge and is having a Byrd Shelix head custom made for a Felder J/P.

In looking at other available options, Casadei has a factory spiral knife head available for their J/P's. The Griggio also looks very nice, but only comes in Tersa and looks to be priced at the top of the heap.