PDA

View Full Version : lobster traps

everett lowell
11-05-2006, 8:41 PM
Do any of you guys know of plans for a lobster trap coffee table,or just a real lobster trap?My son wants me to make him one,I've seen pictures of them,I just thought a set of plans would speed things up and make my life alot simpler.?:rolleyes:

David Rose
11-05-2006, 8:51 PM
I've seen lobster traps on TV, but have no idea what that would look like in furniture. But I love those suckers, so if anyone has an idea how to trap them in a living room, I am VERY interested! ;)

David

Do any of you guys know of plans for a lobster trap coffee table,or just a real lobster trap?My son wants me to make him one,I've seen pictures of them,I just thought a set of plans would speed things up and make my life alot simpler.?:rolleyes:

everett lowell
11-05-2006, 9:16 PM
Like this?:confused:

everett lowell
11-05-2006, 9:21 PM
oops, I had two pictures but one didnt upload.the second one was rounded on the top (or bottom?) and placed in a cradle on the floor.then you can put a glass top on it if you want, i dunno but i gotta make one.:o

Dave Richards
11-05-2006, 9:21 PM
Everett, I did a search for lobster trap plans and came across that same image on the auction site in an auction for plans. Maybe that would work?

You could do the inverted arch-topped kind, too. I think that would look better. Even better would be to leave the trap right side up and add supports for the top. I'll bet you could get your hands on an old one pretty easily if you'd check around. There are piles of them sitting unused on the Maine coast.

everett lowell
11-05-2006, 9:26 PM
Thanks Dave, I think we hit on the same site,this pic came from ebay,but 30 bucks seems kinda steep for plans,and I think my son wants the rounded version, although tese plans come with the rope thingy.:confused:

Dave Richards
11-05-2006, 9:27 PM
Try this. Not a plan per se but it's something. http://www.k12.nf.ca/roncallips/projects/lobster_trap/index.htm

everett lowell
11-05-2006, 9:29 PM
trying another pic

Dave Richards
11-05-2006, 9:32 PM
Thanks Dave, I think we hit on the same site,this pic came from ebay,but 30 bucks seems kinda steep for plans,and I think my son wants the rounded version, although tese plans come with the rope thingy.:confused:

You could make the net thingy. Or get him to do it. Look for a book called The Marlinspike Sailor by Hervey Garrett Smith. There's a chapter on making a sail stop bag which is just a bit of net on a wooden hoop. Almost the same thing as what you need except you want a metal ring instead.

everett lowell
11-05-2006, 9:33 PM
wow thanks for the link Dave, I looked all over for a site like that! Your good!:)