PDA

View Full Version : Fixed the Dryer

Joe Pelonio
11-05-2006, 2:09 PM
Maybe a bit of a gloat, but mainly wanted to share how this went for anyone else with a Whirlpool Calypso or similar Electric Dryer. Might save you some time. It stopped heating, when my 19 year old son's clothes were in it, he had to hang them all over the house above the heater vents. The motor still worked and there were no error messages.

I unplugged the 220 power cord, of course.

If you loosen 3 screws in back and raise the top there's a technician manual tucked away next to the electronic controller. Plug back in and follow that to run the electronic self-tests. On mine they all passed. Unplugged again.

Then pried off the bottom front panel, under the loading door. Most things are easily accessible there. Just need a 1/4" drive socket set. Lots of cleaning out to do, vacuuming lint that obviously wasn't caught by the trap. Then did a continuity test on the heating element and it failed.

Pulled it out, visually inspected it but saw no breaks. Bought a new one for $69 and put it in, and that was the problem. BTW the new part was made in Mexico. Nice and toasty now.:D

Dave Richards
11-05-2006, 4:01 PM
Good on you.

I fixed our dryer today, too. I tied the rope back on the nail. :D

Peter Stahl
11-06-2006, 6:21 AM
Maybe a bit of a gloat, but mainly wanted to share how this went for anyone else with a Whirlpool Calypso or similar Electric Dryer. Might save you some time. It stopped heating, when my 19 year old son's clothes were in it, he had to hang them all over the house above the heater vents. The motor still worked and there were no error messages.

I unplugged the 220 power cord, of course.

If you loosen 3 screws in back and raise the top there's a technician manual tucked away next to the electronic controller. Plug back in and follow that to run the electronic self-tests. On mine they all passed. Unplugged again.

Then pried off the bottom front panel, under the loading door. Most things are easily accessible there. Just need a 1/4" drive socket set. Lots of cleaning out to do, vacuuming lint that obviously wasn't caught by the trap. Then did a continuity test on the heating element and it failed.

Pulled it out, visually inspected it but saw no breaks. Bought a new one for $69 and put it in, and that was the problem. BTW the new part was made in Mexico. Nice and toasty now.:D

Joe,

How old is the dryer, those heating elements usually last a long time. I guess it's like a light bulb as you never know when it will blow. Don't think my wife would spend that much for a dryer unless we hit the lottery. I do like the whirlpool washers/dryers though.

Pete

Joe Pelonio
11-06-2006, 8:43 AM
It's only 4 years old. With 4 of us my wife does 8-10 loads a week.

I noticed too, a lot of places that had gummy lint stuck on that had a blue tint, so recommended that she stop using the liquid fabric softener and use the sheets. That may have caused it to go sooner. Yeh, they were expensive but she doesn't ask for much and really wanted them. That's the first time anything went out on it or the washer other than the light bulb in the dryer.