PDA

View Full Version : Redneck kiln?

Chuck Hanger
11-05-2006, 2:05 PM
This is what I done to try to dry some 5/4 deck boards in order to mill down to 3/4 for making sideboards for my trailer. Sure seems to be doing the job. As well as another issue that I had with a route table top. First I will explain that I just use the non vented LP gas heater (very dry heat) to keep the shop warm overnight. Otherwise I use electric when I am working out there. Walked in there this morning after blowing and mulching leaves (around 46 degrees) and totally fogged my glasses. Must be working. There is much more detail about the router top that I will explain later.
Thanks for looking,
Chuck

Gary Keedwell
11-05-2006, 2:52 PM
Hey chuck...when I clicked onto 1st pic. looked like you got some kind of ghost there. Maybe it is some fallen tree spirit. The spirit of oak past or something. lol

Gary K.

Perry Holbrook
11-05-2006, 3:12 PM
Not try to be a smart a-- but it was my understanding that the by-product of non-vented LP heat is water vapor which would be counter productive for lowering moisture content. I may be wrong tho.

Perry

Chuck Hanger
11-05-2006, 6:02 PM
Perry you could be right, all that I know is that if I fill a coffee can (3lb) on Friday night, it will be dry by Sunday morning. Sure hope that it works but knowing my luck your theory will prevail :confused:
Chuck

Chuck Hanger
11-06-2006, 8:38 AM
Actually was just trying to dry out some 5/4 deck boards to mill down to 3/4 for a tail gate for my 5'X10' trailer. At 3/4 and dry, I can T/G them for nice fit.
Would not try that with good lumber. With the treated only a couple of days seems to have it really dry.
Of course got extra to make some more bird houses and squirel feeders for the grandson.
Thanks all,
Chuck
I really don't know what that was floating around in the first photo. Kinda scary, maybe something is after me.