PDA

View Full Version : Grizz G0513 Band Saw??????

Terry Hatfield
10-26-2003, 7:19 PM
Hey everyone,

Well, I'm finally getting back to work in the shop. I think I might have this respiratory infection finally beat. :p

I'm trying to wedge a new entertainment center into the plans for the winter. Payton is starting his college visits next weekend at SMSU in Springfield, MO. :D :D :D :D Looks like someone besides Dad will be paying for college!!!!!!! Also sounded like a good excuse to go by Grizzly. ;) I think Cheryl is scared that he will get a scholarship to one of the Springfield colleges. Evangel Christian, also in Springfield, is interested in him as well. No telling how much more green might end up in my shop if I HAD to go visit Payton alot. :D :D

I want to resaw some book matched panels for the doors of the EC. I have sold my G1019Z BS and am in the market for a bigger one. I really like the looks of the new Grizz G0513. Does anyone have one of these yet?????? I need to be able to resaw 11 3/8" to accomplish the book match. I have some awsome tiger white oak boards that are wide enough to do this deal if I can just resaw them. MY old G1019 could only do 10" even with the riser. The G5013 has a 12" capacity and is in my price range. I am really leaning towards getting it but was just wondering if anyone here might already have bought one.

MiniMax and etc. are just plain not in the budget.

Thanks,

Terry

Paul Kunkel
10-26-2003, 7:27 PM
Terry, I've had the 20" one for a few years and no complaints. "bout the only diff is the size and 3hp motor. I've resawn 14"walnut & ash-no problem. Used it today to buck up some firewood-hehe :D

Phil Phelps
10-26-2003, 7:28 PM
....and you couldn't afford coping saw :p Course that's a Texas college and outta the question. Terry, I have the 24" Griz and like it very much. If you liked your other Griz, you'll ge happy with the new one.

Mike Linne
10-26-2003, 8:50 PM
Terry,
Owned a G0513 for a year now. I highly recommend it for non-commercial use. Initially had 2 warped tables, but Grizzly made it right. I looked at the Jet 18", but the G0513 had some features that I preferred independent of price. High points - dust collection, 12" resaw, tension release, urethane tires, good size table, good fence, OK guides, rigid frame, beefy tension spring.
Low point - upper guide post has some slop, so when making drastic thickness adjustments sometimes the guide discs need side to side adjustment. This unit replaced a 14" Jet, and I'd get the G0513 if I had to do it again.

Brad Hammond
10-27-2003, 11:07 AM
terry,
i've had this saw since the spring and i have love every minute i've used it. luckily i havent had any probs at all with my grizzly purchases, but i know it can happen.

i just got done making a table with a quadra-angle bookmatch. i use timberwolf blades and i had the 1" blade i bought cut to 131.5" for easier tensioning. this weekend i made a bandsaw box from a 8" crotch piece of red oak. the saw never slowed down around the turns for the drawer. this was with a 1/4" 4tpi tw blade.

i'd buy the saw again!!! it comes standing up so take a truck. i laid mine down for transport in the back of my tacoma and i had no probs.

lemme know if you have any more questions. i've resawn some pretty tall stuff and put this saw through some paces. no probs!!!

cya
brad

Terry Hatfield
10-27-2003, 11:52 AM
Thanks guy's,

I'll pick one up this weekend when we are in Springfield.

I'll report back.

Terry