PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen Remodelling Question.....

Corey Hallagan
11-05-2006, 11:48 AM
As some may know I am doing some remodelling in my kitchen. The cabinets are original to the house which is about 1963. These are coming out. The configuration is a little different this time around and we are adding a dishwasher as well. The dishwasher is part of the question.

I will be pulling up the old vinyl floor and the thin plywood it sits on and below that is the orginal vinyl floor. I want to sit the cabinets in place and then put new 1/4 inch ply on top of the original floor. The new floor will be a new product from Congoleum which is a stone and vinyl composite called Dura Stone. Much like a stone tile but softer like vinyl on the top surface and can be grouted. Much bettter than a laminate floor for exposure to where water could be present.

Anyway, here is the big question... the flooring will be about a 1/2 inch higher than the bottom of the cabinets. Will this play havoc in getting the dishwasher into it's slot or getting it out for future repair work? In other words would there be enough play for the dishwasher to move around. I dont want to raise the cabinets and then have the counters raised cause then my outlets will have to be raised which now sit right on top of the back splash.

I hope all of this makes sense. :)

Corey

Andy Hoyt
11-05-2006, 11:55 AM
Corey - My initial guess would be that it will not become an issue. An easy way to find out will be to select the dishwasher now and check the spec sheet for tolerances and leveling adjustment ranges.

Jamie Buxton
11-05-2006, 12:04 PM
Most dishwashers have height adjusting feet, and most show the possible height range in their specs.

Me, I'd continue the new underlayment and flooring into the dishwasher alcove. This has several benefits. First, it means that if you get a leak, the water is not going to pool underneath the dishwasher. Second, it means the dishwasher slides in and out smoothly, rather than bumping over a half-inch step.

Roy Wall
11-05-2006, 12:21 PM
Corey,

I've had my dishwasher out twice - once for repair - the next for replacement....

I'm the kind of guy that is always looking for "Murphy" to show his face...... As I remember, the fit was pretty snug - so if you can add in the 1/2" buffer now I would suggest it!

Corey Hallagan
11-05-2006, 2:14 PM
Thanks guys, I will have to give this some more thought!

Corey

Kelly C. Hanna
11-05-2006, 2:19 PM
I agree with Jamie on this one....most builders continue the flooring.

Jim O'Dell
11-05-2006, 2:44 PM
I agree with the others. In fact, at our other house when I tiled the kitchen, I tiled up to the cabinets, so had about 3/8" lip for the dishwasher to go over. It worked, but I had to cut into the cabinet for the dishwasher to fit. If you are doing the floor and cabinets together, put the floor in first, continue it to the wall even or at least under the front part of the lower cabinets, You could shim the back of the cabinets up to level them. But continue the flooring under the dishwasher like you would under the fridge. Moving the electrical won't be that bad a job if done now. Jim.

Corey Hallagan
11-05-2006, 3:05 PM
Jim, I don't understand, why did you have to cut into a cabinet? One of the problems with laying all new underlayment under the cabinets etc. is when the flooring itself needs redone down the road and almost always you have to rip up that layer of underlayment and you end up with having to rip up the cabinets as well as their is no way of just removing the underlayment up to the cabinet toe. That is one thing I am considering as well. A floor change would mean only removing the floor, toe kick and the underlayment to the seam at the edge of the cabinet. Does that make sense?

Corey

Dave Falkenstein
11-05-2006, 4:51 PM
We added a laminate wood floor to our kitchen in a remodeling phase. The floor does not extend under the dishwasher. Later we replaced the dishwasher and had no problem. The critical dimension is the height of the cabinet opening to the bottom of the top of the face frame. You could trim some of the face frame away if needed for a too-snug fit.

Steve Clardy
11-05-2006, 7:00 PM
A dishwasher will go under a 35" high countertop.
Normal is 36"

Screw the adjustor legs all the way in