PDA

View Full Version : Corel Drawing Help

Ed Lang
11-05-2006, 11:46 AM
In the attached Corel file you will see the lower Left side of the bow has been broken apart from the rest of the bow. I don't know how to make this section that I have broken from the rest of the object no longer select when I click on the part I broke this from. I hope the file will help to make this clear.

I am trying to engrave some of this and vector cut the rest.

Thanks.

Rick Hutcheson
11-05-2006, 11:56 AM
Looks to me like the break apart command would do it. Select the part then tell it break apart, then if you want some of the parts of it back together just select the parts you want and combine them.

Dave Jones
11-05-2006, 12:02 PM
Select it and then right click on it in the obect manager and choose "Break Apart". That can also be chosen in the Arrange menu.

edit: Rick beat me to it while I was downloading the file to look at it.

Ed Newbold
11-05-2006, 9:36 PM
In the attached Corel file you will see the lower Left side of the bow has been broken apart from the rest of the bow. I don't know how to make this section that I have broken from the rest of the object no longer select when I click on the part I broke this from. I hope the file will help to make this clear.

I am trying to engrave some of this and vector cut the rest.

Thanks.I know what you mean. I had that problem too: Although you have cleanly broken-apart a line, when you select new line you've detached, the rest of the original line is still selected with it too. I know how to fix this, but I don't know why it works:

Using the NODE tool, select any node inside the newly broken-apart isolated line, the hit CTRL-K.

That does it.

Cheers,
Ed in Columbus, OH

Mitchell Andrus
11-05-2006, 10:22 PM
I use ctl-K all the time. Until I understood this, I thought I would go nuts. Now, it makes perfect sense.

Imagine indicating a wall by creating a line. Now make spaces to indicate holes for windows and doors. Wouldn't you need to move the wall as a unit rather than a segment at a time. That's why it works this way... counter-intuitive at first. The line is still 'whole' until you use ctl-K to tell Corel that you NEED to break up that line.

Mitch

Rick Hutcheson
11-06-2006, 12:03 AM
OK lets look at it as the wall. One straight line.
We can go into the center of that wall and doulble click to add a node for the side of a door. Break that node apart. Now move down and double click again to add a node and break it apart. We know now that the door space is a seperate line. But it is combined with the wall lines too. Break apart the combined line and it is now 3 seperate lines.
You can then delete the door space. Select the remaining two lines and combine them back together. Now those two lines will move and work as one line. You can right click a color like red on the color bar and the lines that are combined will turn red. I use this feature a lot to figure out what lines are combined to what, just change the color and it shows up easy.
Now if we draw a rectangle for a door symbol in the space, then right click the blue it will turn the outline of the door symbol blue.
If we combine the wall and door they will turn the lines the same color because a combine makes everything take on the same properties.
If we would have welded them the wall would remain red and the door blue. Weld groups objects but they can maintain their own properties of colors or line weights, or fills. But it could then be moved as one object the door and wall staying together as one unit.
Hope this makes it a little easier to understand.