PDA

View Full Version : Thank you everyone . . .

Steven DeMars
11-04-2006, 10:55 PM
Just to let you guys know, I placed my order with Craft Supply & Bill Grumbine. Took everyones suggestions and added a few more items . . . Sorry for the new thread, but also wanted to see if I got any feedback on the items I selected . . . ie . . maybe a mention of a really good use for one item or a particular part of a book or dvd . .

Thanks again . .
Steve

VARIABLE SPEED JET MINI LATHE

JET MINI LATHE STAND

1 X 8 TPI 3 1/2 INCH VICMARC CHUCK

1" DOVETAIL JAW S - VICMARC

3" DOVETAIL JAWS - VICMARC (BACK ORDERED)

4" DOVETAIL JAWS - VICMARC

EXTENDED DOVETAILS

STEP JAWS

CURVED REST FOR DELTA/JET MINI LATHE

RIGHT ANGLE TOOLREST

KEY CHUCK #2 MT

SAFE DRIVER - ONEWAY - #2 MT

TURNING BOXES by RAFFAN - DVD & BOOK

TURNING WOOD by RAFFAN -DVD & BOOK

TURNING PROJECTS by RAFFAN - DVD & BOOK

BASIC BOWL ON THE LATHE - by RAFFAN - VHS

TOOL SHARPENING, BASIC CUTTING TECHNIQUES, SPINNING TOPS - B. KLEIN - DVD

A GUIDE TO WORK-HOLDING ON THE LATHE By FRED HOLDER - BOOK

LEARN TO TURN - By BARRY GROSS - BOOK

MASTER ONEWAY SHARPENING SYSTEM

EXTRA V-ARM

SKEW GRINDING JIG

Also odered both of Bill's DVDs . . .

Ken Fitzgerald
11-04-2006, 11:24 PM
My wife would say she likes a man who will commit himself! I do too! I think you've got everything very well covered! Did you order some tools....skew, bowl and spindle gouges, parting tool, scrapers?

Quite a haul!

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
11-05-2006, 1:23 PM
You need some wood :D

And then when you find out how much it costs, you will need a chainsaw, chaps, gloves chain sharpening tools....... :D

Jean Holland
11-05-2006, 1:54 PM
Then you will need finishing products, like sand paper, buffing system, wax, etc.

Reed Gray
11-05-2006, 2:13 PM
I think that you may have overdone it on the jaws. I have most of them, and only use 2. For a mini lathe, I doubt that you will turn anything that requires a 4 inch set of jaws, and maybe not 3 inch jaws. The step jaws are for clamping down on a tenon, and because they step down, if you use the smaller ones, they can limit access to the bottom of whatever you are turning. If I remember right, the extended jaws are about 1 inch, and the center closes to about 1/4 inch diameter. I use them to sand (more clearance between headstock and bottom of what you are turning), getting both them and the 1 inch jaws is redundant. You can always order them later if you find a need for them.
Everything else sounds good. I can't remember, but if you haven't been told, try to find the nearest club and go to their meetings. It has been my biggest learning experience in my 9 years of turning.
robo hippy

Scott Donley
11-05-2006, 4:30 PM
Still need a snow shovel or BIG dust pan and broom for chips :D