PDA

View Full Version : 23ft shop VS 10ft board

Art Mulder
11-04-2006, 10:49 PM
Usually, having a 23ft long shop is no problem. The narrow width (it is only 11ft wide. Almost) is usally more the problem for me.

But today I needed to deal with a 10ft long board. And it had to stay 10ft long, as it was for some long ceiling trim. It started as one 10'4" long by 9-1/2" wide piece of 4/4 ash. I trimmed a bit from the ends, bringing it to just a hair under 10 feet.

10ft board. 23ft long shop. Can you do simple math? :eek:

Unfortunately, I did not think to snap a picture of the original rough board. I was too busy scratching my head and convincing myself that I could make it work. And I did.

It helps that most everything in my shop is on wheels. And I had a few rollers laying around that I could jury rig into some longgggg outfeed supports. (Have to get some better ones, just in case there is a next time.)

But thanks to SWMBO, and those rollers, and my recently-acquired DeWalt 735 planer, we got-er-done. Planed that is. Then I got to spend 5+ minutes on striking the set -- er -- rearranging the shop, as I moved the planer back to the side, and wheeled the bandsaw into the center. Next was rough-cutting the pieces to thickness and resawing down to just a hair over half an inch. Then the bandsaw was moved out of the middle, and the planer came back for final touch up.

Finally, I could thank my wife for her set of helpful hands and bid her farewell. Her verdict? "This is boring." :rolleyes: Maybe if I had a better bandsaw I could get a slightly better feed rate...

Then I had to rearrange again and figure out how to move my jointer to the middle of the shop.

Oh yeah, all you guys who declare that you can only joint a board about as long as the tables on your jointer? Piffle. I've got a 6" Delta jointer, 47" tables I think, and I jointed those 10ft boards. Actually, I was surprised at how well it went. Okay, I admit it - this is just for ceiling trim. There is no gluing in the future of these boards, so the jointed edge did not have to be dead-on perfect. They just needed to be good enough to look straight and to feed safely through the saw.

THe saw was next.

This was the home stretch. I'd used the Grip-Tite feather board when resawing, and it made the tablesaw ripping a breeze as well.

And there you have it.
Told you it was a 10ft board.

But I'd rather not do that too often. You guys with your 30x24 shops? Enjoy the space. You guys with the small caves like I have? Take heart! With some castors, feather boards, and imagination, you can make it work.

Good Night,
...art
(Edit, corrected the model name it is a 735, not a 734 planer!)

Mack Cameron
11-05-2006, 7:04 AM
Hi Art; My basement shop is 23' 10" wall to wall, I've thickness planed 10 footers, but have never had a need to rip or joint them. If I ever do, I know who to call!:)

Chuck Hanger
11-05-2006, 8:01 AM
I have the same problem Art. Shop is 16 X 21. The only thing that saves me with the longer material is a 6' roll up door. Used to be the fiber glass that let light thru, but insulated with 1 1/2" styrofoam and covered with luan for protection. Cools off the shop in a hurry in this kind of weather though.
Chuck

Lee Schierer
11-05-2006, 8:16 AM
Been there done that, but they were out of T-shirts! My shop is only 21 feet and I needed to resaw 10' X 2 X 4's for my recent grid ceiling project. The band saw is on wheels and the table saw is in the middle of the room so a 10' piece can just be extended out each end of the table. Cross cutting is a different issue all togeteher as my shop is only 15' wide and the TS is not mobile.

Jim Becker
11-05-2006, 9:51 AM
Creativity is the name of the game! This is yet another reason to normalize surface heights in the shop so you can manuver material that is longer than normal without interference... ;)

Michael Gabbay
11-05-2006, 7:32 PM
A few years ago I jointed, ripped, and planed a 9' piece of 12/4 mahagony in my 26' shop. I used a 6" jointer :eek: and lots of roller stands. It was challenging to say the least. I was very surprised to see that it came out very flat.

jonathan snyder
11-06-2006, 12:33 AM
Art,

I feel your pain. My shop is a one car garage 10'6" X 19'6"! I was just trying to rip a 12' piece of hickory. Had to open the door and put a roller stand outside. Everything worked out just fine, but I nearly froze! Its darn cold out tonight, 7 degrees last I checked!

Jonathan

Steven Wilson
11-06-2006, 9:16 AM
No problem edge jointing a 10' long board in a 23' shop. You could even edge joint a 20' long board in a 23' shop. Just get out your trusty #7 plane with #386 jointer fence and you'll soon be done.

Art Mulder
11-06-2006, 10:04 AM
No problem edge jointing a 10' long board in a 23' shop. You could even edge joint a 20' long board in a 23' shop. Just get out your trusty #7 plane with #386 jointer fence and you'll soon be done.
You mean one of these? That's a Type 10 #7c (type 10's date from around 1907-9 -- for those who are curious.)

I've had it for 7 years. Picked it up at Falcon-Wood in Massachussets while on vacation in the summer of '99. It's a great jointer, I use it regularly. For years that was my only jointer. And I still could use practise and improvement. But I'll have to disagree with you on the use of the word "soon" in your sentence above. (as in "you'll soon be done")

Some woodworkers are process oriented. Some are goal/results oriented. That's way to simplistic, but still, I think it does characterize woodworkers fairly well. I enjoy using hand tools where appropriate, and I do like knowing how to use them. But I'm more in the "goal" camp. And for me, a power jointer is a faster tool.

best,
...art