PDA

View Full Version : Wind Chime sources

Brad Hammond
10-26-2003, 6:46 PM
got orders from the loml for some wind chimes.............i've seen the kits from woodturners catalog, but i was santing to know if anyone else has a source for the chimes only.
tried a search on google, but struck out.

thanx
brad

Kevin Gerstenecker
10-26-2003, 6:59 PM
Brad, Here is a source for ya.

www.windancerchimes.com/parts.htm

I have seen Copper Tubing and EMT used for chimes as well.
(EMT =Electrical Conduit)
You may try searching for Metal Tubing, or Brass Tubing. That is the main component for the chimes...........the Discs that support the chimes and are used for the clapper/striker can be shop made. I hope this helps!

Here is a good Tutorial on the subject as well. Great info. here!

http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/wchime/wchime.html

Paul Kunkel
10-26-2003, 7:08 PM
got orders from the loml for some wind chimes.............i've seen the kits from woodturners catalog, but i was santing to know if anyone else has a source for the chimes only.
tried a search on google, but struck out.

thanx
brad
Brad, I make some really nice mellow sounding ones with 1" copper. Cut the ends at a 45* with a carbide tripple chip in a miter saw. If you'd like I'll post the dimensions tomorrow after I've been to the shop. The only other store bought needed things other than string are rubber gromets to keep the string from fraying.

Brad Hammond
10-27-2003, 11:12 AM
AH HA!!!

i new you guys would come through!!!

thanx so much!! anyone else feelin the xmas crunch?

Paul Kunkel
10-28-2003, 6:28 PM
Finally....... 10 ft of 1" copper-type M
Cut 6 pcs w/ a 45* on the end at 22 3/4", 20 3/4", 19 3/4", 18", 17", 16".
drill 1/8" holes for the string (use rubber grommets) at -from the top starting with the longest-5", 4 1/2", 4 1/2", 4, 3 3/4", 3 1/2". These measurements give the most pleasing tone.
Start by tying off the string in one hole with the string hanging through at the bottom. Thread the smallest tube onto the string(allowing the 2" spacing), then bring the string up through the next hole. Wrap the string back around the edge of the plate and up through the same hole again. Cross the end through the loop, and then over to the next hole. I use oak, mahogony or whatever wood scraps seem good at the time and mason twine(11 ft). Here's the diagram.........

Brad Hammond
10-28-2003, 10:17 PM
Finally....... 10 ft of 1" copper-type M
Cut 6 pcs w/ a 45* on the end at 22 3/4", 20 3/4", 19 3/4", 18", 17", 16".
drill 1/8" holes for the string (use rubber grommets) at -from the top starting with the longest-5", 4 1/2", 4 1/2", 4, 3 3/4", 3 1/2". These measurements give the most pleasing tone.
Start by tying off the string in one hole with the string hanging through at the bottom. Thread the smallest tube onto the string(allowing the 2" spacing), then bring the string up through the next hole. Wrap the string back around the edge of the plate and up through the same hole again. Cross the end through the loop, and then over to the next hole. I use oak, mahogony or whatever wood scraps seem good at the time and mason twine(11 ft). Here's the diagram.........

COOL!!!!!! THANX SO MUCH!!

Doug Littlejohn
10-29-2003, 4:38 PM
Does anybody know how to figure out what length of what diameter, etc., will give a specific note??

ALso, Thanks so much for posting the dimensions info, can't wait to make some!!