PDA

View Full Version : Air Compressor

Mike Burns
11-04-2006, 9:09 PM
I'm in the market for an air compressor. I'll use it for airing up my tires and using no more than one nailer at a time......... probably just a brad or finish nailer, and maybe a framer at some time, but no real heavy duty use. From what I gather, the oil-type run quieter and last longer so that's what I think I'll buy.

Any suggestions on brand/model?

Thanks,

Mike

Al Garay
11-05-2006, 2:20 AM
I'm also looking for a compressor and brad-finish nailer. The easy option is to buy a Porter Cable kit but I prefer to consider spending a bit more to get better quality, quieter, more versatile.

Ron Blaise
11-05-2006, 5:50 AM
is my experience with compressors. I have a 5 horse, twin cylinder, oil type, Speedaire. It is quiet, reliable but not very portable. If all you you are going to use one for is what you stated then a pancake, oil-less would meet your needs. Noisy, but very portable. If you don't need portability, get the oil type with about 90 CFM continuous duty. Horizontal or vertical depends on how much room you have. Brand names, good ones are "Speedaire" or "Ingersoll-Rand". These are not cheap brands, but are very reliable and long lasting units. I hope I have helped.

Tyler Howell
11-05-2006, 9:47 AM
Bostich twin cylinder for the shop and job site. Will run 2 roofing guns and will handle dragging from site to site but a little heavy.

Ken Lousignont
11-05-2006, 11:22 AM
I'm in the market for an air compressor. I'll use it for airing up my tires and using no more than one nailer at a time......... probably just a brad or finish nailer, and maybe a framer at some time, but no real heavy duty use. From what I gather, the oil-type run quieter and last longer so that's what I think I'll buy.

Any suggestions on brand/model?

Thanks,

Mike

Like others have said you could probably get by with a small "pancake" compressor if all you want to do is power a small nailer. I started off with a small pancake-type compressor thinking I would only use for the small stuff, too. But, like everything else, once you taste the opportunities you may want more :)

Campbell-Hausfeld has a nice 20-ish gallon, 220 volt unit capable of 10-11 cfm at 90psi for approx. $400. No, it's not an industrial unit, but I've been using mine for 3 years now--working on my car (wratchet, impact), applying lacquer (HVLP spray-gun), and light-duty sanding (small HF palm sander). Really don't know what I would have done without it!

BTW, one of the things I've noticed is that you really need at least 10-11 cfm at 90 psi (3 to 4 hp, 220 volt, 15-20 amp motor) to do any semi-serious work with an air compressor. All the 110 volt compressors I've seen seem to be limited to about 6-7 cfm at 90 psi and run out of air pretty quick using tools like a impact wrench, air drill, etc.

Mike Burns
11-05-2006, 8:29 PM
I need the portability and don't anticipate using any automotive type air tools, so I'm probably going to go the hotdog route. The two that caught my eye are the Makita single and Dewalt twin. Both are oil-type. The problem I have in buying a large unit is that my shop is in my basement and I also want to use it in the garage............... I guess I could buy a bubble for airing up tires, though, couldn't I?

Regards,

Mike

Chuck Hanger
11-06-2006, 5:25 AM
I have a 6 HP 60 gal tank in garage which can hardly hear in shop. Also have the PC 6 gal portable. The PC will run your nail guns, etc. As for noise, take compressor over to the neighbors garage and run a line back to your house:D. I have 150' of air line just to keep it away from work.
Chuck