PDA

View Full Version : New projects....new wood..

Mark Singer
11-04-2006, 4:58 PM
With the long list of work in front of me I made a lumber run today....Austin Hardwoods and with a fresh stock of Paduk and Shedua I did ok. I selected 90 bf of 8/4 Paduk for a sofa I am building and another 40 bf of 4/4.
Then for the smaller bath cabinet... quartered shedua with a light spalded character.
I will probably take some progress pics of the work. These are easier projects still challenging and requires thought ,detailing, and intuition...But fun!
Oh yes the wood!

Jim Becker
11-04-2006, 4:59 PM
Very nice, Mark! ('Hope those stickers are not on the wood with staples, however... ;) )

Mark Singer
11-04-2006, 5:39 PM
Very nice, Mark! ('Hope those stickers are not on the wood with staples, however... ;) )

I got a little lucky and they pulled the figured Shedua and put it in the quartrered stack...so off came $1.50 a bft . Then I bought over 50 bft which is the discount break....there came another $1.50 b ft off the whole lot. So I averaged about $7. 00 /b ft. I whent for the more subtle grain on the Shedua since the cabinet is a Krenov inspired. And with the glue up and matching I will develop a paterrn.....I draw these funny little sketches of grain at the lumber yard,,,,and when I hit on something...I get excited and start to sweat...either its passion or I am moving too much lumber for my own good:rolleyes:

Howie French
11-04-2006, 5:58 PM
Mark, I enjoy seeing a nice supply of lumber before it is transformed by human hands (and machines). If you are able to post pics, please do,
I have learned alot through your postings and I really appreciate the time and thought you provide.

thanks,Howie

Gail O'Rourke
11-05-2006, 7:07 AM
Going to the lumber yard is always a favorite activity of mine, and sometimes I get carried away and buy too much. Looks like you have some gorgeous pieces there...love the color.

John Renzetti
11-05-2006, 7:31 AM
hi Mark, Nice haul. I've got ask, what is Shedua. Is that another name for an exotic or a new species being brought in.
take care,
John

Mark Singer
11-05-2006, 9:41 AM
hi Mark, Nice haul. I've got ask, what is Shedua. Is that another name for an exotic or a new species being brought in.
take care,
John

I have been using Shedua for about 10 years and it has always had the same name. It is in the family of African Rosewood ,,there is a great deal of variation from board to board so caeful matching and paring is essential. Two pieces can easily look like 2 different woods. The stuff I got yesterday looks like pearwood which is a bit rare... Some looks like a darker Zebra... some like jatoba ... It is very hard and stable since it is dry and quarter sawn and is a dependable choice for a solid wood carcase where I will use Brusso knife hinges and any movement is disaster. It can be planed but the grain reverses so a high angle plane is best any reading grain prior to glue up...so the plane is not crossing opposing grain...check this link...

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/shedua.htm

Dan Larson
11-05-2006, 9:58 AM
take care,
John
John, just to add a little to Mark's description... Shedua belongs to the same genus as Bubinga. I've also seen it sold as Mutenye, Mbenge, and Benge.

Dan

David Briski
11-05-2006, 10:49 AM
Great haul,
I love going in to austin hardwood. I go on my lunch breaks to just look around sometimes. Usually always come home with at least one piece of wood.

John Renzetti
11-06-2006, 9:08 AM
hi Mark and Dan, Thanks for the info on Shedua. I did some checking and it looks like this stuff is used a lot by luthiers and also for flooring. As Dan mentioned it is from the same family as bubinga but a bit lighter in weight and color. I've worked with bubinga a lot and really like it. I'll have to try out some of this. I'll check with Hearne Hardwoods which is real close to me.
take care,
John