PDA

View Full Version : Two firsts: HVLP and cut-off sled

Warren White
11-04-2006, 2:29 PM
Good morning to all!
I thought I would post this, not that it is fine furniture at all, but because it is my first on the two counts in the title.

I recently acquired a used GRACO HVLP system. I purchased some Fuhr water-borne sealer and laquer from Jeff Jewitt. I applied two coats of the sealer with a foam brush (sanding between coats) and then sanded again and sprayed the laquer with my HVLP set up. I added two coats of wax and hand buffed each.

The sled is a modification of Kelly Mehler's sled featured in his books. There isn't an arch like his because I don't have a band saw. I added the track and stop on my own. I plan on making another for a hold-down for longer materials. The fence to blade seems to be dead on 90 degrees.

I was very pleased with the finish. I plan on using this on all my future projects.

As i said, it isn't up to whoat most of you post, but with your help I am making progress along the way. Thanks for looking, and if you have any critiques or comments, please feel free.

Roy Wall
11-04-2006, 3:01 PM
I think it looks like FINE WOODWORKING in a JIG!! Nice work!!!

Well done Warren.........:)

Martin Shupe
11-04-2006, 5:04 PM
Nice jig Warren, I really like the finish.

Howie French
11-04-2006, 6:51 PM
Warren, looks "fine" to me. I like it. I have found that since I build my sled, I am using my sliding compound saw less and less. An accurate sled is very useful.

Howie

Craig Walls
11-05-2006, 1:24 AM
Really nice! I like it when people make their "keep around a while" jigs and shop project look nice. Unfortunately you might end up dusting it so it'll stay pretty :(

Travis Porter
11-05-2006, 1:00 PM
Looks good to me. I second the comment on using the miter saw less and less. You won't regret building it.

Nice catch on the HVLP as well. I never knew what I was missing until I got an HVLP gun.

Warren White
11-05-2006, 4:42 PM
Thank you all for the kind comments. I have been using the sled since I made it (a couple of months before I got around to putting the finish on). I have enjoyed the stability I feel with it. My CMS is not real handy since it sits on top of my tool chest and I have to muscle it down to get any real use out of it. I have a Smart Miter sled which I really like, but this gives me additional room for wider stock.

There is much for me to learn, and I really appreciate your encouragement.

Thanks again!
Warren

glenn bradley
11-05-2006, 6:40 PM
Looks too nice to use. . . just kidding. Very nice job. I want to make a nice one as soon as my 'slammed together for now" version dies. . . it has been stubborn though. That just encourages me that this type of jig deserves a little style as they last quite awhile. Yours look great!