PDA

View Full Version : End grain butcher block counter top

David Henderson
11-04-2006, 1:08 PM
Our new kitchen plans include a 24 x 48 inch end grain butcher block incorporated into our island counter top which will be concrete to match the existing counter top around the sink. I've put it off as long as possible and have to get it finished before Christmas.
I've done several butcher blocks but never an end grain top of this size.
I'd appreciate any hints I could get from anyone who has made one this size.
I want to use hard maple, walnut, ash, Cherry and purple heart. Is this a good combo?
Also, I don't have a 24 inch drum sander. Does anyone know anywhere in the Springfield,Illinois, Quincy, Alton, St. Charles, Mo area that has a wide drum sander that could be hired to sand them for me once I finish the glue up?

I don't post often, but reed the Creek faithfully. I learn a lot.

David Henderson
11-04-2006, 1:11 PM
I also read the Creek. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon10.gif I should have proof read a bit closer before I posted.

Jim Becker
11-04-2006, 2:48 PM
Ah....and you can also edit your posts by clicking on the Edit button at the bottom of any one of them! :D :D :D (Welcome to the 'Creek)
-----

Your list of woods is fine, although I wouldn't use ash...too open grain...and I'd limit the walnut to decorative banding, etc., for the same reason. I tend to prefer maple and cherry for this kind of thing. One other though is to consider that many different species move differently. While your project is end-grain, there will still be "some" movement.