PDA

View Full Version : Plane socks... opinions.

Terek Johnson
11-04-2006, 11:09 AM
Howdy everybody! My name is Terek and this is my first post to this forum. This seems like a great place to "talk shop", and I'm looking forward to joining in. My question today regards plane socks: my shop resides in my damp, fusty basement, as a result, rust is an ongoing battle. Do any of you use plane socks, and do they make a difference? Thanks.

Bruce Delaney
11-04-2006, 11:18 AM
Hi Terek,

I had my tools in storage for almost a year, no regulated temperature or humidity. A lot of the tools developed some surface rust. The planes covered in a plane sack came out without so much even a speck of rust.

Other handtools, that may not fit well in a planesack, you may want to wrap in specially-treated paper such as Ferro-Pak which Lie-Nielsen sells.

Even with a plane sack or the paper I just mentioned, I would still wipe down the tools with a little oil.

Steve Wargo
11-04-2006, 12:51 PM
I vote for them as well. Not only do they prevent rust, they also prevent scratches if you have to haul them around, as I often do. And welcome to the forum.

Bob Marino
11-04-2006, 3:04 PM
I agree with Bruce and Steve. No rust at all.

Bob

Brent Smith
11-04-2006, 4:20 PM
Another vote for no rust.....but....they look awful!!!! If you have an enclosed cabinet to keep your planes in a silica pack will do the job just as well, and things will look alot nicer when you open the doors of the cabinet.

Brad Olson
11-04-2006, 6:35 PM
I use them and love them as well.

Keep the planes protected, and rust free.

Zahid Naqvi
11-04-2006, 8:49 PM
Welcome to the creek Terek, a good place to hangout. Sorry I can't help you with the plane sack question, air up here is humid only when it has been raining for a few days. I remember reading somewhere that ventilation is very important for moisture control

Gary Herrmann
11-05-2006, 12:16 AM
Opinion: I've got one for each of my planes.

Brian Blackburn
11-09-2006, 3:20 PM
I also work in the basement. I could not do it without a dehumidifier.I dont have rust problems. I can keep humidity constant ,no problems with wood sucking up the extra moisture.

Doug Shepard
11-09-2006, 8:26 PM
I find them a bit constricting in the toes and ankles but the handy drawstring keeps them from sagging down to my ankles. I've got all my better planes wearing one too and they work pretty good for that.:D

Hank Knight
11-10-2006, 12:11 PM
I have socks for most of my planes. I find them inconvenient with planes I use often. I'm too lazy to take them off and put them back on all the time. Consequently they have fallen into disuse for my go-to planes. I do leave them on planes I seldom use, and I have no rust problems with those in my basement shop. I suppose I can attribute that to the socks. I clean and wax my go-to planes after each use, so I don't have rust problems with them either. If I did, I'd probably use the socks.

Hank