PDA

View Full Version : 8" Jointer

Ed Gibbons
11-04-2006, 7:09 AM
I have decided to purchase an 8" jointer and am looking for advice. Any feedback would be appreciated. I am also interested in learning if anyone thinks the byrd cutter heads are worth the money. Thanks.
Ed

JayStPeter
11-04-2006, 7:26 AM
My best advice is not to get too caught up in the hype and details. Jointers are simple machines and they all do the job well. Look for the best bang for the buck. If I was buying, the Grizzly parallelogram looks like it may be it for now.

I have added a byrd cutterhead to my 8" jointer. I like it a lot. You can run boards through either direction without tearout and knife changes are a breeze. Some, like myself, will find that "worth the money" and others not. The supposed drawback is it eliminates the ability to use the rabbeting ledge. Since I can count the times I've used that feature on one finger and can come up with 3 ways to perform that function I like better ... well, you get the idea of how important I consider it.

CPeter James
11-04-2006, 7:36 AM
I have a Delta DJ20, but if I were in the market, The Grizzly G0490 knockoff would be near the top of my list as far as value goes. Most people that bought the G0490 like it and the price is good. The Deltas have come down in quality and price, but I think the Grizzly is more for your dollar.

CPeter

Russ Massery
11-04-2006, 8:34 AM
I have a G0490. It's a great machine especially for the price. I would highly recommed it. But the $750 price tag is only good till the end of the year.

Allen Bookout
11-04-2006, 9:26 AM
I have a G0490. It's a great machine especially for the price. I would highly recommed it.
Same here.

I do not have any experience with the byrd type cutter heads.

Happy Shopping!

Allen

Russ Massery
11-04-2006, 11:45 AM
As a side note I plan to add a Byrd head to mine in the future. Too many other things to buy first